Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Networking > Online Classes, Meetings, and Events

Online Classes, Meetings, and Events Psion Guild or other.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #41
C.O.G. Decoy

C.O.G. Decoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You mentioned "reflexes". Are these trained psionic responses or Shields/Avatars that will attack anything that pokes around too much?
Well, they are "trained" insomuch that they have a set series of stimuli to respond to, dictated by the Psycher in question. If you've ever played Final Fantasy XII, it is similar to the Gambit system. "If I am damaged, reciprocate, absorb, heal, activate secondary Cores, initiate reservoir drain, initiate tirtiary capacitor, initiate Avatars Two, Three, Five", et cetera.

Some reflexes are simple nudges. For instance, when I was scanned when I first made my presence known here, the Reflex is to infect, absorb, create Soul Bombs, idle. The reaction normally takes anywhere from two to five seconds in total, depending on the density of the target's energy. Ultimately, it's not -damaging-, but the reflexes set up for a massive reciprocal attack should the target attempt to continue undesired contact.

Such Reflexes are common on our Avatars, our Constructs, and certain sentient... To use your terminology, "Constructs".

Quote:
What do you mean by fractal shielding? I would think of fractal shielding as something like multi-phase shielding and somehow deeper, but you listed multi-phase shields separately.
Ah, see Fractal Shields are -incredibly- complex. They rely on complex math in order to best utilize the defense, and we have only two people in the Coalition who can craft them. However, the general premise is that, in all things Fractal, there is an infinite amount of space. Granted, so much that things can be measured, they -do- have finite space, but it may as well be infinite.

All the rest of you pay attention to this bit, too.

This is one of our most closely held secrets. However, it is exceedingly secure in terms of "things that can be done to stop it", so I offer it here to you, the Guild, as a gift of peace, in the hopes that our future relations together will be bright and prosperous.

Fractal Shielding is something of a misnomer. Unlike normal Shielding, Fractal Shielding is the -only- "Shielding" category that literally doesn't fit in any way. Fractal Shielding behaves like a Shield, but absorbs energy like a Drain and defends against physical attacks like Armor and expels hostile energy like a Ray.

The principle of Fractal Shielding is an infinite series of ever-smaller crevices within the armor. Using complex mathematical calculations, Fractal Shielding is created over a painstaking, monthlong process by our two Theorists who specialize in such things. In all of our experiments thus far, we have never been able to produce an energy "particle" so to speak; nothing that has mass, nothing that truly has volume. Essentially, Psionic energy is, for all intents and purposes, weightless and theoretically shouldn't exist.

Now, we're getting a bit into some hairy theoretical ground, fair warning. Psionic Energy, we have determined, is indeed a manifested byproduct of biochemical and bioelectric energy. -However-, that same byproduct is influenced very little by the Material world; If I am aglow with power and standing in the middle of a windstorm, my energy will not be affected, as there is simply no mass to affect. To be blunt, forward, and somewhat nonsensical, the best we can determine is that Psionic energy is... manifested willpower given the ability to interact on the metaphysical level when directed to do so by it's owner. Yes, by all rights, such a force -shouldn't- exist, but it does.

That is where the genius of Fractal Shielding comes into play.

If Psionic Energy has no mass, and no weight, then it... theoretically... can never truly occupy space. Therefore, Fractal Shielding utilizes a series of increasingly smaller and smaller pockets and subpockets of areas with no actual shielding; Fractal Shielding retains energy the way a sponge retains water... if the sponge can hold a near-infinite amount of water.

Fractal Shielding, however, never hits the point of "near-infinity" capacity, instead triggering once it hits a preset capacity to fire the energy -back- at it's point of origin. While Energy has no Mass or Volume, it certainly can deal damage, as we all know. Moreover, we have found over the course of two decades of research that if an energy source is seperated from it's host, it can be charged almost as if it were magnetic in the extreme; Polarizing the Energy and causing it's natural rhythm and flow to operate exactly opposite to the Core from which it was spawned. Fractal Shielding does this automatically while retaining the Energy, and once critical mass is reached, the energy is projected outwards with a controlled clench of the fractal pockets, resulting in a violent expellation of energy from the front of the Shield.

The Energy, so freed, seeks out the Core of it's owner, driving pell-mell through anything that stands in it's way. While the energy itself may beat contrary to the Core, it is still stuff born directly from the owning Psion. While the Psion targetted may be able to raise some defense in time, the Energy, in it's flight, attains a "sharpness" that is even thinner than a Ray, yet so dense in weight of fire that it literally hammers through most defenses directly. Even Ray Shielding, for all our efforts, cannot stop a Fractal Shield Ray-Burst.

The Energy bursts through the Psion's defenses, hammering through his Aura (leaving it remarkably undamaged) before colliding with the natural Core of the target.

The result is utter devastation.

That is our "ace in the hole" of shields. It works against any energy form, to a certain extent. Any non-native Energy that touches it is absorbed entirely, even allied healing. It is the pinnacle of our defensive development. It is -exceedingly- difficult, time-consuming, and energy-draining to create in every aspect. It is our apotheosis of more years of combined research than I have even existed on this planet, and it is absolutely awesome to behold.

Always in service.

~Decoy~
C.O.G. Decoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:07 AM   #42
C.O.G. Decoy

C.O.G. Decoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
That is possible, or one of your people may have been in my territory. I have a sensor grid covering my home and the surrounding towns, so if anyone of consequence enters or starts causing trouble, i'll know it. My territory is meant to be a safe and secure area for psions, especially newbies, so I keep an eye on things there.
Unlikely that we have anyone currently in your location. No current member of the Coalition operates within a major city, though some are mildly close to Syracuse and Albany. However, it is good to know that there are other eyes watching out for the young ones throughout the world. It restores a small part of my faith in the Psionic world.

Quote:
I'm sure we could write it up, but first we each need to figure out what we want to cover in it (some procedure for resolving disputes is a must, and probably some sort of mutual protection in case of imminent danger, but i'm not sure what else). Once we do that, we can discuss how to cover each issue, and then take it back to our own governing bodies to have it ratified.
I agree completely. However, I will be straight with you, I am... dog-tired. It's been an exceedingly long day, I've been up for close to two days monitoring my new protege, and that's on top of significant physical labor. I gotta pass the hell out at some point tonight; not now, but within ... six hours.

Perhaps tomorrow you and I can sit down and have a bit of a pow-wow about this, with Winged Wolf presiding of course, and anyone else that the Guild wishes to bring? I would dare an IRC channel for such a noble goal.

Quote:
Of course. I wouldn't just go hand out my own secrets either, until a bond of trust has been established. However, i'm all for diplomatic exchanges (in fact, we're having the first one right now). Perhaps soon we can share non-classified and declassified technology that isn't weapons-related, like my Shaping protocols that may benefit your Avatars, or my sensor grids. Some of us have also done extensive work on energy system modifications, as have you.

Here's a bit of a Culture-Crash regarding our Avatars, my friend! Believe it or not, our Avatars have been, in one form or another, present for almost the entire history of the Coalition. We are steeped in mysticism and tradition regarding their creation. However, your Shaping protocols may suit our Constructs, as although they are currently acceptably shaped, we are always looking to conserve space while maximizing efficiency for the job at hand.

In return, I'd wager, we may be able to offer up own own sensor-nets. Like all things from the Coalition, they are based in a military application, but with a detail or two missing here and there, it ceases being classified and boom, we have an arrangement.

Either way, I am looking forward to this.

As always, please continue to ask questions or make comments, and I will answer them to the best of my abilities.

~Decoy~
C.O.G. Decoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #43
Firestorm
Member of the Defense Department

Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O.G. Decoy View Post
Unlikely that we have anyone currently in your location. No current member of the Coalition operates within a major city, though some are mildly close to Syracuse and Albany. However, it is good to know that there are other eyes watching out for the young ones throughout the world. It restores a small part of my faith in the Psionic world.
A lot of the older psions are very territorial, and that is a trait that I seem to have inherited from my elders. However, I set my sensor grid to have a minimum threshold of activity before reporting to me, so that the newbies can practice in peace without being watched. If an intermediate or advanced psion were to enter my territory (which covers the Nassau/Suffolk border to roughly Patchogue, excluding Fire Island) I would know immediately. There are several in my area, but they're fairly innocuous so I leave them alone.

In my territory, the rules are not all that different from yours, though I am more lenient as long as nobody is being hurt. In this respect, though, we have more similarities than differences.

Quote:
I agree completely. However, I will be straight with you, I am... dog-tired. It's been an exceedingly long day, I've been up for close to two days monitoring my new protege, and that's on top of significant physical labor. I gotta pass the hell out at some point tonight; not now, but within ... six hours.

Perhaps tomorrow you and I can sit down and have a bit of a pow-wow about this, with Winged Wolf presiding of course, and anyone else that the Guild wishes to bring? I would dare an IRC channel for such a noble goal.
I would love a conference. I work from 4:00 to 9:00 EST, but i'm free before or after.

Quote:
Here's a bit of a Culture-Crash regarding our Avatars, my friend! Believe it or not, our Avatars have been, in one form or another, present for almost the entire history of the Coalition. We are steeped in mysticism and tradition regarding their creation. However, your Shaping protocols may suit our Constructs, as although they are currently acceptably shaped, we are always looking to conserve space while maximizing efficiency for the job at hand.

In return, I'd wager, we may be able to offer up own own sensor-nets. Like all things from the Coalition, they are based in a military application, but with a detail or two missing here and there, it ceases being classified and boom, we have an arrangement.
I'm working on rewriting the Shaping manual, the one that exists currently is more a set of notes and observations for my personal use. Once I actually translate them into something that would be useful to others, I would be delighted to share the fruits of my experimentation.

Quote:
Either way, I am looking forward to this.
As am I. This association has the potential to benefit both of us in unprecedented ways. By starting small and building up to the bigger things, we can create the foundation of a strong alliance between our organizations.

On another note, I'm curious to see what color I would be in your system. The descriptions you gave are basic (because the more complex parts are classified) but I suspect that I would be Orange-dom-blue. Of course, I could be wrong. That probably isn't a combination you see very often, either.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #44
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Winged_Wolf is on a distinguished road
As for fractals, we've been using them for a long time as well. The reason I asked if you had any questions is that our documents are not an accurate reflection of our level of advancement. We started posting documents at the bottom, making things available for newbies first, and then getting progressively more advanced with them over time. However, it's hard to get people to put in the effort to write articles, honestly, and as a result...well, at present, we don't have anything on our site that's more advanced than 'intermediate level', and that only just barely.

So, the advanced stuff just isn't there to be read.

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
My Home Page: http://www.wingedwolfpsion.com/
My Author site: http://www.donnafernstrom.com
"We have gone beyond wisdom" - Archchancellor Trymen, 'The Colour of Magic'
Winged_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #45
darkphoenix
Psion

darkphoenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Winged Wolf, if you need articles written I could write one on visualization. I`m pretty good and I could give tips and exercies on it.

Last edited by darkphoenix; 07-05-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: mispell
darkphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #46
Brightwing
Junior Staff

Brightwing is an unknown quantity at this point
Mayhaps this will assist your Codicers in regards to our birthswitch capacities.
This is from:
http://psionguild.org/education/arti...y-level-graph/
Mind that this is rough approximation of natural generation/capacity. Simply for better understanding, and not meant to be definite- just as with the graph. I simply thought it may help your codicer's understanding of the matter.
1) Psi-Vamps -(Blacks, essentially 0-1XT1R)
2) Nons- 1XT1R
3) Synchronizers- 2XT1R
4) Partials- 6XT1R
5) Born-ons- 7XT1R
6) Banshees- (10XT1R? Only one encounter, difficult to quantify)
7) Switchers and Hautès- 12XT1R
8) Phase-Switchers- 20-30XT1R
9) Phoenixes- 100XT1R+ (Capacity relatively unknown)

If there are any inaccuracies noted, do correct me.

Last edited by Brightwing; 07-05-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Brightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #47
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

If I had a better idea of what 'XT1R' is I could better with that. I can say that a birthswitch psi's field is usually at least twice that of a non, but can be up to 20X that.

Phase Switchers maybe 50X, and phoenixes start at 100X and go up dramatically from there. (1000X is not unusual). In terms of standing radius form the center point, most auras in active psis are about 6 ft to 8 ft. A phase-switcher's is more 10 ft to 30 ft, and a phoenix's is 30 ft to 120 ft with exponential density.

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
Old 07-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #48
Firestorm
Member of the Defense Department

Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Wasn't ANKA's something like a quarter mile in radius during his prime?
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #49
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

No, just briefly, one time. lol.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #50
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Decoy, it is intended that we use that initial document as a representation of the Coalition's School of Thought in our articles area, or was it meant only for the forum?