Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Networking > Online Classes, Meetings, and Events

Online Classes, Meetings, and Events Psion Guild or other.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Masupups The Unfeasible
Dormant Psi

Masupups The Unfeasible is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Final Confirmation for Unofficial Classes

Disclaimer: This is a lot of stuff to look over. But if you're serious about being in/joining this class, you'll go over this entirely. Thanks for reading! On with the show.

Welcome! I'm super psyched to finally release the details and roster for our unofficial Psionics class! :D

If you haven't read the original two posts (someone secretly wants to call me spammy or inefficient I bet :P ), here's a quick recap on what this is all about: Paper and I are starting a progressive unofficial Psionics class. What I mean by "progressive" is that we will (almost obviously) not stick to the same few topics or repeat a list of topics. It means that we will begin a class teaching/practicing at an introductory Psionics level and add in new content or lessons based on student progression. The upside to this is that early on, anyone can jump in and catch up/learn with us. As we all progressively better, more advanced Psions may pledge to join in with us, allowing for almost anyone to have a place to be. The downside is that because this is a progressive class, we will NOT be going back to previous topics in the main class, so people who are too far behind may not be capable of catching up or joining. In order to help correct that issue, we will have two separate "open" classes during the week that will be like a study hall for people to learn, catch up and practice. This is not only for the newbies who want to get skilled up for the class, but for people who can't make it to the primary classes because of scheduling issues.

I've compiled the info needed to begin classes. At this point in time, we have 6 attendants. 1-2 Teachers and 4-5 Students. The main instructor will be Paper. I will be stepping in to either teach in his absence or to teach as an assistant. This means that I will be there as a student and/or teacher, depending. However, please keep in mind that I will not be the primary teacher. Any questions, comments or suggestions about the class should go to Paper. Feel free to PM me as well if you need, as I am trying to organize the event and will be coordinating things along with him. Final decisions will almost always be collaborative between the heads of this project.

Now to address the next detail: our current class roster. This includes teachers, assistants and students. THIS IS NOT SET IN STONE AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE IN THE FUTURE!! It's very important that you look the thread over thoroughly for updates by either Paper or I regarding the full list. If you're serious about participating in the class, I recommend you subscribe to this thread as it will also serve as general discussion relative to the class itself. Getting back on track, our current list is as follows:

Teachers: (Current Instructors/Assistants/Overall Staff)
Paper
Masupups

Students: (Current Participating Pupils)
Masupups
Reficul
Karsis
Algrianna
Eagle
BoleroOfFire

Pending Approval: (Expected to Join/Waiting for Confirmation)
Spellteen

Again, as a reminder, this is NOT set in stone and IS subject to change in the future. This list may very well be outdated if you're reading this anytime past a week from the original posting. Just keep up with updates from Paper and I, everything should work out swell.

Now the important parts for anyone who's attending: the "When" and the "Where".

The place (for now, and for the foreseeable future) will be the 'practice' section of the guild IRC.

IRC://irc.otherworlders.org/pg_practice

There will likely be a point, however, that we will need to migrate if other people or groups in the guild find our presence obstructive. This is not an issue right now, so don't worry about that until you see one of the board or class administrators address it on this thread or otherwise.

The schedule is pretty small, but complicated, so bear with me here. We have a main class where new learning happens and lessons are tailored to the needs of the group. This one is going to be three hours and the structure of it is still up in the air. In addition to the main instruction class, we'll also have two study hall/practice/open classes during the week. These classes will be there for people who want to catch up on anything they missed/don't know, practice with each other or the instructors, get some additional info on things, ask any questions, or experiment with techniques. They will last for four hours each, so spend your time wisely. (NOTE: I decided to tack on two hours for European peeps. It's unreasonably difficult for them to learn anything if they can't attend. Don't worry Paper, I'll be there for the first two hours so they're not alone.)

Here's what the schedule LOOKS like:

Main Class - Saturdays @ 8pm-11pm EST (UTC-5)
Open Class 1 - Tuesdays @ 5pm-9pm EST (UTC-5)
Open Class 2 - Thursdays @ 5pm-9pm EST (UTC-5)

The schedule is also subject to change in the future.

I'm proud to finally say that opening class will be on Saturday, March 2nd. It will be an assessment class, to see where everyone stands. It also happens to be my birthday! Yay me. The following two classes on Tuesday the 5th and Thursday the 7th (respectively) will be for further assessment and maybe some basic instruction. The following Saturday will be the OFFICIAL starting class where we will start based upon the aptitudes of our class, more than likely at the very beginning.

I don't expect to see every single person attending the first three classes, but I'd hope you do as it shapes what our class is going to be about. So anyone who can, please attend one of the first three meetings at the minimum. If you can't because of schedule conflicts, then I can arrange something personally with either Paper or myself.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to an excellent class! :D

Last edited by Masupups The Unfeasible; 02-28-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Masupups The Unfeasible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
Paper

Paper is on a distinguished road
Also I would like to note, the three hours on Saturday is more or less a maximum. What I mean is, if the lesson is over in a shorter time then its over, people will still be able to stay and practice, but if someone doesn't want to stay AFTER the lesson then they can leave for the night. Also if it takes longer than three hours then so be it, but of course life happens and not everyone can always be free for three hours, its hard to plan that way, however staying as long as possible is definitely recommended so you wont fall behind.

Also if you regularly attend you will not fall behind unless you are lazy and are not trying. Since its progressive we are moving on as a group, so no one will fall behind unless of course they are lazy and don't try and or not attend. So don't sweat it if you are a little slow at it, but don't worry if you are more advanced. Practicing and cementing the basics are just as important as learning it.

~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
algrianna

algrianna is an unknown quantity at this point
as its off eastern time i may or may not be able to catch the earlier part of the weekday ones b4 i go to work the weekend well ya totally not gonna happen but by all means continue on regardless and gl to all the teachers and the learners :)
algrianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Karsis

Karsis is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a question. I went to the irc but didnt see the practice section. Its my first time using it
So my question is. Where is the practice portion
Karsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
algrianna

algrianna is an unknown quantity at this point
for the channel room etc #pg_practice
algrianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Masupups The Unfeasible
Dormant Psi

Thumbs up Comments, Answers and Whatnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Also I would like to note, the three hours on Saturday is more or less a maximum. What I mean is, if the lesson is over in a shorter time then its over, people will still be able to stay and practice, but if someone doesn't want to stay AFTER the lesson then they can leave for the night. Also if it takes longer than three hours then so be it, but of course life happens and not everyone can always be free for three hours, its hard to plan that way, however staying as long as possible is definitely recommended so you wont fall behind.
I'm going to go ahead and restate what I bolded/underlined in Paper's quote here. I'd like to personally apologize for anyone that will have a hard time attending, but planning this kind of thing is much harder when it's done for people around the world compared to people in one country. So here's my point: lessons aren't structured yet, so we'll be likely using those three hours variably. My goal is to give the criteria of any particular class to everyone that shows up, regardless of when and how long. What this means is that as long as you take the time to show up during the Saturday class, we will give you the idea of what we did/what we will do.

Can we get a round of applause for Paper here? I may be a no-life with nothing better to do but share my time and insight with the good people of the guild, but Paper is a pretty busy person and he's accepting quite a hefty schedule change for you people. He's probably only heard of how long each class will be two times and he's still going through with it! *Clap clap clap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by algrianna View Post
as its off eastern time i may or may not be able to catch the earlier part of the weekday ones b4 i go to work the weekend well ya totally not gonna happen but by all means continue on regardless and gl to all the teachers and the learners :)
So I originally intended the weekday open classes to be two hours, but because I figured we'd have people in largely different time zones I tacked on two hours. However, because we'll be spending 8 hours during the week at a computer (I know I personally don't mind, but others may and those hours may be unavailable for us at times), don't expect us to be actively watching what's happening. We'll likely be afk at times so we can complete our Earthly chores or what have you. :P

Also, thanks for the good wishes. If you can make the open classes, I'll try my best to have someone review for you. If you have the initiative to commit to this but work keeps you from it, it's only fair that we try to help keep you up to date. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsis View Post
Just a question. I went to the irc but didnt see the practice section. Its my first time using it
So my question is. Where is the practice portion
I put it in my post, but I probably wasn't clear enough. When you're establishing a new connection for the IRC, you need to input a specific address to get to the practice page. This is the address you'll want to use:

IRC://irc.otherworlders.org/pg_practice

See that part that says "pg_practice" at the end? That's interchangeable with other parts of the guild IRC. One example is the main guild IRC lobby, "psion_guild". But we're only using the practice section for now. Hope that helps!

One last reminder, the opening 'class' will be tomorrow (Saturday, March 2nd [MY BIRTHDAY! Whoo-hoo!]) at the regularly scheduled time, 8pm-11pm EST (UTC-5). This WILL NOT be the starting class, it will be the beginning of our assessment of student skill so we know where to start. Since we know that not everyone will make it on the same day, testing will continue through Tuesday and Thursday at the regularly scheduled time for those days, 5pm-9pm EST (UTC-5). The OFFICIAL start for our unofficial classes (lol) will be the following Saturday (the 9th).

All done with my rampage of the many parentheses. :D

Last edited by Masupups The Unfeasible; 03-01-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Masupups The Unfeasible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Paper

Paper is on a distinguished road
Tomorrow will be a great day for interdictions and all that.

Also do not worry, we will NOT be discussing philosophy or why things work or any of that. We will teach skill and help pub learn without explaining why we think things are and whatnot based on philosophy and religion because that really really really gets annoying. It will be straight up learning if the skills.

Also Do NOT use google chrome for the IRC chat in mibbit, it does not work at all.

~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Karsis

Karsis is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for that. Much clearer :)
Karsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Masupups The Unfeasible
Dormant Psi

Oh, good point Paper. While I have the chance, I'm gonna go ahead and agree. We're not based on any philosophical or religious founding principles, nor are we going to be teaching anything outside of Psionics (such as Magick). So if you believe in something, it' your belief and we're glad you have it. But it won't be up for discussion in class or on this thread.

In addition, I wanted to add to my original post: We are planning this on guild grounds, sharing info on guild grounds, and practicing on guild grounds. So Psion Guild rules ALL apply, forum and IRC alike. They will be enforced too, but I'm not worried about anyone doing anything bad. Just saying. :)
Old 03-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #10
Infinity

Infinity is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd love to join. I am 80% sure I can make it to tomorrow classes!
My name on IRC is catty, or some alternative! I'll let you know who I am if I'm in/you let me in. I'm a beginner, I hope you guys wont mind. :)
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote