Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Education > Parenting and Children

Parenting and Children Discuss raising psi-active children, psi-related activities for kids, and more.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #41
NoMad
Device Forum Moderator

NoMad is an unknown quantity at this point
I forgot to add the "If both hold true then the person will develop empathy" my bad, didn't explain what the hypothesis was actually predicting.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #42
Redregon
on a journey.

Redregon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMad View Post
So far, of the research I've done, looking at my own survey, as well as the Manhattan one. I personally hypothesize that first. Genetics seems to be a pretty big deal. That said, it appears that a person can have no psi gene. One of the various extremely rare specialty genes. Or a partial or born-on gene. Of the last two it seems like there's a connection that goes into how the person was raised, almost like the born-on gene allows for psi ability but the ability branches off depending on what happened to you specifically when you were growing up. I say this because damn well nearly all of the empaths had bad childhoods. Almost as if they were born psi active, but their brain decided to develop empathy to allow the individual to have emotional connections in their lives, this is because the person didn't have good emotional connections, only bad ones, which were mostly superficial. I could be wrong, this as I said is only a preemptive hypothesis. It predicts that if a person has the Born-on Gene, AND grew up without "Good" emotional interactions and connections with people.
well, it makes sense in a way... if someone has poor or bad emotional connections to people, then their mind might want to form good ones... so, might be a subconscious thing and their mind might try and reach out and establish good emotional connections to people...? dunno, it's just a thought.

Namaste
Redregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #43
NoMad
Device Forum Moderator

Note that my hypothesis not only is based off of evidence, but can be tested.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #44
ShadowRain

ShadowRain is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
So far, of the research I've done, looking at my own survey, as well as the Manhattan one. I personally hypothesize that first. Genetics seems to be a pretty big deal. That said, it appears that a person can have no psi gene. One of the various extremely rare specialty genes. Or a partial or born-on gene. Of the last two it seems like there's a connection that goes into how the person was raised, almost like the born-on gene allows for psi ability but the ability branches off depending on what happened to you specifically when you were growing up. I say this because damn well nearly all of the empaths had bad childhoods. Almost as if they were born psi active, but their brain decided to develop empathy to allow the individual to have emotional connections in their lives, this is because the person didn't have good emotional connections, only bad ones, which were mostly superficial. I could be wrong, this as I said is only a preemptive hypothesis. It predicts that if a person has the Born-on Gene, AND grew up without "Good" emotional interactions and connections with people.
It is interesting that there is such a close correlation between bad childhoods and born-on empaths. Out of curiosity, are the bad childhoods characterized by the complete lack of emotional connection, or the lack of stable emotional connection?
ShadowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #45
NoMad
Device Forum Moderator

Mostly the lack of wholesome and healthy connections. So in short, both, no connections is still the same as no good connections.(ei only bad ones)
Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #46
Rath

Rath is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm posting here. so it'll appear in my cp i can't type what i want to type will edit when i get home
Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #47
ShadowRain

ShadowRain is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Mostly the lack of wholesome and healthy connections. So in short, both, no connections is still the same as no good connections.(ei only bad ones)
The reason I asked is because I had connected bad childhood to empathic ability at least in myself, but I had a slightly different explanation for it.

My mother was very unpredictable and if I didn't act exactly how she wanted she would get angry and withdraw (my father did this as well, but was around less often). However, what she wanted would change drastically depending on how she felt at the time. The only way to maintain any kind of good emotional connection was to read her emotional state as accurately as possible and act accordingly.

Thus, I had thought my abilities developed more out of trying to predict my mother so that I could maintain an otherwise unstable emotional connection, rather than trying to develop empathic connections with other people as a substitute. I do remember trying to develop connections with other people; however, whatever empathic readings I got from others didn't really fill whatever need was there.

Since my sample size is ridiculously small (i.e. me), I would be interested to find out what the actual link between bad childhood and empathy is, based on other people's experiences. It may help me figure myself out a bit more.
ShadowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:30 AM   #48
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Winged_Wolf is on a distinguished road
The bulk of my childhood was great. My parents divorced when I was around 10, but apart from lowering my opinion of them and interrupting my sleep, this did not have an excessive impact on me. My abilities emerged when I was around age 15, and empathy was among them.

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
My Home Page: http://www.wingedwolfpsion.com/
My Author site: http://www.donnafernstrom.com
"We have gone beyond wisdom" - Archchancellor Trymen, 'The Colour of Magic'
Winged_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #49
Empathy Born

Empathy Born is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
My childhood was great until about 8 or 9 years, then everyone but my family started treating me like shit. And even them, a good bit of the time, but that problem is solved at this point. However, I've always been pretty sensitive to emotions, for as long as I can remember, and I'm not even 15. What would that mean?

For another thing, will I get more advanced instinctive ablilities around 15 because I practice psionics already, or not?

:CLICK ON THIS LINK
http://www.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=11086514

A fun game

You know the drill.
Empathy Born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 AM   #50
Rath

Rath is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay well I started looking to things and My notes from my Teaching program in high school were I was apart of 1st and 2nd grade classes. I would write notes about children and there aura and what and how they acted. Later specifically now , That I'm working with children again with my life span development class I know get too look back to aura's and what and how they look. and I have to tell you what I'm find seems to be interesting to say the least.

Now mind you I like" Theory of Cognitive Development" developed by Jean Piaget. Which he developed looking at his own children. Now this still gets some criticism today based on the fact that he looked at his own children and underestimated what stages children go through.The when and how is always up to debate. But I'm going to try and not go of on a tangent.

Now I've always been one to believe that children are born with the use of their psi capabilities and that threw the development of human life and constant bombardment of society. That normally these are buried underneath a series of mental locks that we create ourselves. So that we can fit. Society is powerful and very annoying whole which you can either accept of be left standing our burned as a witch. Many people wont do that.

The first stage is the Sensorimotor period. This is basically when a child learns habits that will stick with them their whole life. Hand eye coordination, and etc. I assert It's this stage in their development. That the ability to use psi is the greatest. also in the stage that The opportune time to encourage the use of psi is at its best. Children will in my experience reach out with their psi to feel new things. Develop new gifts to make up for the ones that are not inherently born on. This can allow a child to feel pain and what going with around them.

However If its not done. if a child's mind is not encouraged to develop this ability. The mind is already in the works setting up mental blocks so that they can operate with out it.

The next stage is the Preoperational Period

now I'm going to paste something from wiki here because describing this period tends to be a little annoying.

The Preoperational stage is the second of four stages of cognitive development. By observing sequences of play, Piaget was able to demonstrate that towards the end of the second year a qualitatively new kind of psychological functioning occurs.

(Pre)Operatory Thought in Piagetian theory is any procedure for mentally acting on objects. The hallmark of the preoperational stage is sparse and logically inadequate mental operations. During this stage the child learns to use and to represent objects by images and words, in other words they learn to use symbolic thinking. Thinking is still egocentric: The child has difficulty taking the viewpoint of others.

The child can classify objects by a single feature: e.g. groups together all the red blocks regardless of shape or all the square blocks regardless of color. According to Piaget, the Pre-Operational stage of development follows the Sensorimotor stage and occurs between 2–7 years of age. In this stage, children develop their language skills. They begin representing things with words and images. However, they still use intuitive rather than logical reasoning. At the beginning of this stage, they tend to be egocentric, that is, they are not aware that other people do not think, know and perceive the same as them. Children have highly imaginative minds at this time and actually assign emotions to inanimate objects. The theory of mind is also critical to this stage.

The Preoperational Stage can be further broken down into the Preconceptual Stage and the Intuitive Stage... The Preconceptual stage (2-4 years) is marked by egocentric thinking and animistic thought. A child who displays animistic thought tends to assign living attributes to inanimate objects, for example that a glass would feel pain if it were broken.

The Intuitive(4-7 years) stage is when children start employing mental activities to solve problems and obtain goals but they are unaware of how they came to their conclusions. For example a child is shown 7 dogs and 3 cats and asked if there are more dogs than cats. The child would respond positively. However when asked if there are more dogs than animals the child would once again respond positively. Such fundamental errors in logic show the transition between intuitiveness in solving problems and true logical reasoning acquired in later years when the child grows up.

Piaget considered that children primarily learn through imitation and play throughout these first two stages, as they build up symbolic images through internalized activity

Now i want you to pay close attention to the last bit.

Children learn from what they watch. Now if children watch older children who do not have psi those mental blocks are already being placed. This is the stage in which children can jump around in. because the more and more they watch. The more and more they want to fit in.

Its in these stages that children lose they gifts its then we have an awaken later on in life.

Now other things do take place. Trauma, not wanting to fit in, and abuse can stop the mental blocks form being in place.

also insecure attachments also affect this.

JUst something I've come across.