Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Support > General Health > Food and Beverage

Food and Beverage Recipes, nutrition information pertinent to psions, etc.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
MindlessInvalid
Angry Deconstructionist

MindlessInvalid is on a distinguished road
Post Fats in cooking, the right fats.

I know there's been people hating on saturated fats, and for the most part, they're right. There is a small group of natural saturated fats (like coconut oil) that are good for you. They are so nutritionally dense, in fact, that it puts other lipid sources to shame. Medium Chain Triglycerides, or MCTs, is a group of fats, most of them saturated fatty acids. It is important not to use hydrogenated versions of MCTs as they may have a moderate trans fat content.
The other good thing about MCTs is that they do not require being broken down by bile salts before hand and are absorbed in the GI tract via passive transport, which means there is a net loss of energy of zero when digesting these. this also means that the net gain from complete digestion into ATP is 34 instead of 32.

Here's the math completely broken down:
1 MCT= 2 Glucose
1 Glucose= 2 pyruvic acid
1 glucose + 2 ATP = 2 Pyruvic acid
(those ATP are deducted from the total your body has)
2 pyruvic acid + 2 ATP = 1 NaDH+ H
(yet again ATP is deducted from your total)
1 (NaDH+ H) - H = 36 ATP
but since you lost 4 ATP in the creation of those 36
Net gain is 32 ATP
now here's the cool bit:
1 LCT (long chain triglyceride) = 3+ glucose
but must be divided by x where x is number of glucose in the LCT then you subtract that many ATP from your total
SCT (short chain triglycerides) can be transported without division for 1 ATP total but contains at most 1 1/2 glucose
MCT are transferred passivly so no ATP is spent in receiving or breaking it down until the anaerobic separation stage so you save 2 ATP ( one for each glucose) then, when you lose the standard 4, you have two that you didn't spend to make up for it.
so...
energy output wise, LCT<SCT<MCT

MindlessInvalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
New2
Local Haunt

New2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've read that fats are the quickest to digest & take the least energy to do so. But I've also read that simple carbs are the quickest to digest, so whatever...

Some people add TEF or Thermal Effect of Food to their total daily caloric/energy needs. The number I've read recommended is 10% of your daily calorie needs. So this basically covers digestion of the macronutrients fats, carbs, & proteins.

I've read if you cook with these oils, then you should rotate them with other fats. I'm limiting myself to 10% saturated fats daily & I'm going to balance things so that I make sure to get more healthy fats most days because the total fat intake I'm allotting myself daily is 20% of my daily calorie needs.

I wonder if it would taste good with Indian food... My bf's mom uses mustard oil & I just saw on Andrew Zimmerman where one of the chef's he visited uses that oil in his cooking. Kinda neat.

I think palm oil is the other oil that has these, but I could be totally off. I hate not being at my own computer where I can get to all my files, hehe.
New2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
ShadowRain

ShadowRain is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm so underweight I eat everything edible that I can get my hands on... "healthy" or not. Unfortunately, this is still not equal to enough food. :-\

That's a really good description Mindless, I'll have to remember that (I actually did understand the entire thing, lol, I'm way better at biology than physics). My mom went on a coconut oil kick, going on about how much better than canola oil it was. Given that completely contradicted what I'd read about it in college and that her sources aren't usually that reliable, I didn't take it too seriously. In this case, maybe I was wrong...
ShadowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
New2
Local Haunt

No, it has benefits & drawbacks. You should just use it right or you'll wind up with nappy arteries perhaps.

What I do to get enough calories is eat a bunch of meat for protein & then pile on the carbs (I'm kinda working out some new meal plans that are more educated than before). The fats just kinda get in there by themselves. Beans are great for that calorie deal. Plus you get a bunch more protein, balancing out the meal just right (with my pcf or protein, carb, & fat ratio of 30%, 50%, & 20%). I just add a bunch of hot sauce to the Ranch Style ones because they are kinda bland actually. Like they're not made for somebody who loves spicy food. Brown rice is pretty calorie dense in a healthy way too. I balance the meal so that I get a lot of protein & carb. The fats are usually there then (if not too much).

Some meals just don't have a whole lot of calories... So instead of just green beans with my baked shicken breast, I toss in some beans because they have a ton more calories. And healthy ones - complex carbs. They're legumes, not fried shit with gobs of grease & fat. And it doesn't even matter how filling the meal with just the green beans is... It's just not enough. The same with trying to use a whole grapefruit as a meal. You think you've done something really healthy for yourself filling up on an entire big ass hunk of fruit & find out it only has just about 80 cals in it total & you're looking to get at least 250 with this meal. Plus it's not even balanced. I've been working on getting all my info together, so now the meal choices won't be so hard. It's just getting started. I love food.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
ShadowRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2 View Post
I've been working on getting all my info together, so now the meal choices won't be so hard.
I would love to do that as well. Hopefully once I have 1) money and 2) more choice over what food I get/eat, I will be able to.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
New2
Local Haunt

$$$? The information is free at least - but I havn't found it All yet. I'm about to start looking for nutrional breakdowns of foods that tell what kinds of fats & carbs are in each food (the ones that don't have it listed already). But muscleandstregth.com has some good articles & so does caloriecounter.com. Healthcastle.com has good food information. The article 'How to build a muscle building diet' or something close to that is a great one. I love their articles. And both muscleandstregth.com & healthcastle.com have forums too. Too many sat fats is just not good for you, even if you're a weight lifter trying to bulk up. So french fries won't cut it & they're considered a source of empty cals by some anyway. It always helps me to have meals planned beforehand or I WILL grab anything if I start to run out of gas (I will start to feel bad). Which is exactly what happens if I go for too long, which is a measly 3 or 4 hours, without eating. There's no way I can exercise two hours a day about & not eat. Muscle is heavier than fat too. I used to weigh 96 lbs. Now I'm at 105 from lifting. You have to eat more calories to gain that muscle & weight tho.

I just have to tell my dad what to get or it won't happen. All my information I got for free. Either from other people, websites, or books/magazines (which you could probably find the same info online I guess). And I got my magazines for free at the local library & barrowed to books. Hehe. The expensive part was getting my dad to buy me a new wieght set when my free 6 mnth membership at the gym I won in a drawing ran out, which just happened to be the day after my birthday... which is still a little wierd. (That was all I got for my b-day)

Last edited by New2; 12-25-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
ShadowRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2 View Post
$$$? The information is free at least
hmm, you're right, I guess I could start researching it now at least... though it gets kind of depressing thinking about all that food when I can't *get* any of it...
Thanks for the sites :-)
Old 12-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
New2
Local Haunt

It gets easier the more you keep going with it. If it gets to be too much, who's stopping you from taking a breather? Or many of them? Or from eating a sandwich with one hand while surfing the internet with the other? Hehe... The getting started is the hardest part - not knowing how to eat & not having a single meal put together you know anything about... At least it was for me.

Oh, I also eat 5 times a day. So with three hours between my meals usually, it doesn't leave much room for being hungry. Especially if I've eaten a really filling meal about 3 hours ago. That chicken really does it for me. I will have 3 oz. & it will be like Damn! Oh, I Did buy a food scale for $10 a good while back, but there are other ways of estimating food portions going by sizes of particular foods. I also have a measuring cup. I got the glass one. The plastic one we have has gotten those little crack things in it & it wasn't even that old. Also a set of measuring spoons - plastic, because I don't want any chance of rust. Forgot about those things. Probably cost me $20 bucks altogether though & I made sure to buy them so they lasted for freakin ever. But most people will have the stuff besides the scale already, I think.

Last edited by New2; 12-25-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
MindlessInvalid
Angry Deconstructionist

MindlessInvalid is on a distinguished road
shadow, the reason MCTs are so good is that they give you more energy than others, which will turn into body weight if you don't burn it. Due to medical conditions, my family went vegan (even though it had been happening for a while). Vegans can actually gain more weight than non vegans if they eat right. Vegan cooking has to be loaded with fats to be tasty, so knowing the right kinds helps.

MindlessInvalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
ShadowRain

Good to know, thanks :-) Maybe I'll have to look up some of those recipes then. I don't think I'd ever voluntarily go vegan though... I like steak too much. And bread. Though I came across the raw food diet at one point (a step beyond vegan), and that was appealing given how much I *love* fruit.