Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Support > General Health > Food and Beverage

Food and Beverage Recipes, nutrition information pertinent to psions, etc.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Redregon
on a journey.

Redregon is an unknown quantity at this point
Eating healthy is not limited to "the rich."

Reason i'm putting this here is that good nutrition is essential especially if you're going to get into psionics training.

but, there's this attitude that "healthy food is expensive."

no, it actually isn't... maybe 20 years ago when it was very costly to transport fruits and vegetables long distances were a major factor, now that we live in a global culture/economy, it's actually on par.

yes, that cheap bag of ramen is going to be cheap but it's just starch and salt... but, for the same amount of money you can get a couple bags of ramen with, you can get a head of lettuce... so, say you get the cheap ramen at four for a dollar... and that head of lettuce is the same... those four bags of ramen will give you four meals (if that) but that head of lettuce can be stretched out to more than four meals. same with that bag of carrots... it's about a dollar but you can get a lot more out of that bag of carrots than you can those four bags of ramen... and if you get the lettuce, carrots, a tomato or two, celery and maybe some spices to add a little extra flavour, you've got yourself the makings for a decent number of salads... and there will be more nutrition in those salads than there would be in those bags of ramen (which is, again, merely starch and salt.)

I also think this perception that healthy food is expensive is mainly because people don't know how to cook decent foods and to be honest, a lot of convenience foods are terribly costly both to your wallet and to your overall health.

I think the real issue is learning how to shop for food smartly. yes, things like fish-sticks can sit in the freezer for a month and yes, that bag of apples will rot if you don't eat them fast enough and that will cost you money overall since you're essentially throwing the ones you didn't eat away... but, one thing that helped me (so it might help you... your mileage may vary) is to stagger your shopping so that you're at the grocer more frequently. if you can get into the habit of setting aside enough money to top up your fruits and veggies on a weekly basis and only get enough that you know you'll eat in that time, you can get yourself into the habit of eating a healthier diet much more easily.

Also, if you don't know how to cook, you really ought to learn. it's not hard but it will take time... but, that level of satisfaction you can get from eating a meal you made can add an extra level to it. so, if you don't know how to cook, if you still live with your parents, pester them to teach you... if you live on your own, talk to people that you know who can cook. i'm sure if you are nice to them they'd be willing to help because at the core people aren't naturally antagonistic and the desire to help people actually does give us a nice jolt of those "happy chemicals" our brains are prone to produce.

but try it... instead of stocking up on garbage food you know will last, take about half of your usual budget and set it aside to stagger your shopping lists. this might be tricky for those of us that live out in the boonies but for those of us that live in or near cities, this should be simple.

and if you can take steps to ensure your diet is well rounded, your health will be better (as is my case i used to eat mostly garbage foods and i now have to contend with cardio-vascular issues from such a prolonged period of malnutrition.)

try it. you might be surprised... and your body will thank you for it (and you will probably notice an uptick in your abilities since a healthy body means a healthy energetic system.)

Namaste
Redregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Redregon
on a journey.

though, there is something to consider... no, i am not a vegetarian but i only eat meat/dairy maybe three times a week (it's mainly because of cholesterol... i just don't have the right kind of body or level of activity to warrant piling on the protein.) but, i've been doing research into this and the amount of meat that the typical western diet consists of is actually not good for us.

yes, we need animal protein (as there are some nutrients we can only get naturally via meat and meat products) but we don't need nearly as much of it as we're led to believe.

we need meat, it's how we've evolved... but we evolved in that we don't need nearly as much of it as our diets in the west have us eating... when we were hunter-gatherers, we weren't able to have meat every day because we had to go out, stalk an animal, hunt and kill it, skin it, chop it up and cook it... and in that respect our bodies are geared to the "feast/famine" method since that's the kind of environment we evolved into... but in this age of plenty (at least here in the west) we have easy access to meat whenever we feel like it... so, this constant feasting is what's causing our bodies to show so many health problems from cardio-vascular diseases to obesity. that's why we're fat... we are feasting, but we aren't enduring the famine... and our bodies haven't adapted to this age of plenty so it still thinks "hey, i've got some extra stuff here so i should store it since winter is coming."

but winter never comes... and we get fatter.

Namaste
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Winged_Wolf is on a distinguished road
The reason I'm moving this is because we actually have a food and beverage topic area. Go figure. ;)

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
My Home Page: http://www.wingedwolfpsion.com/
My Author site: http://www.donnafernstrom.com
"We have gone beyond wisdom" - Archchancellor Trymen, 'The Colour of Magic'
Winged_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Problem with this theory: 1 package of ramen noodles provides sufficient calories for 1 meal. It costs between 25 and 50 cents, depending on local pricing.

1 head of lettuce, even if you eat the entire thing, does not provide sufficient calories for 1 meal. Additionally, it is unpalatable unless prepared in some fashion...you could salt it, but bleh. So, you also need to spend an additional $1 on some sort of salad dressing.

Now, because it's a head of lettuce, and you're trying to make a whole meal out of it, you're probably going to eat half of it in one sitting. Your comment about making it stretch further doesn't work, because the only way to do that is by adding additional foods--you weren't allowed to do that with the ramen, so you can't do it with the lettuce, either.

So, now you've spent around $2.00 for a head of lettuce (if you found a good deal), and $1 for a bottle of dressing. If you eat half of it, your meal costs $1.50. That's at least three times the cost of a ramen meal. You wanted us to assume that a head of lettuce costs 25 cents, just like a package of Ramen, but it's extremely important to point out that it does NOT.

No amount of mathematics or mental gymnastics will make eating healthy less expensive, or even the same price, as eating cheap crap. In fact, I can get a McDouble for less than the cost of your lettuce meal.

Add to this the fact that head lettuce is mostly water and fiber, with very little nutritional value, and that even a healthier dressing is still just some fat and seasonings, and I'm not seeing how all of this works.

You see, part of the trick involved in eating more vegetables is that you have to eat more, period. A lot more. Vegetables are low in calories. So, you're eating a LOT MORE of a MORE EXPENSIVE food.

This is the reason why people have the attitude that healthy food is expensive. Because it IS.

Now, once you're over a certain income threshold, these differences are no longer very important. If you're not the sort of person who has to resort to eating Ramen in the first place, you don't care that your pot roast with carrots, potatoes, and celery cost you $6 in plant products, plus $6 for the roast itself. Granted, it feeds three, but that's still $4 per person for a meal. Remove the roast? Sorry, then you need even more of the veggies in order to make a full meal, and that means you're right back up to the same cost yet again.

People aren't making this stuff up. Eating healthy food is expensive. It's expensive because cheap processed crap is SUBSIDIZED, and healthier foods are not. In no sane reality should processed food cost more than unprocessed food, but it does. The oranges cost more than the jug of orange juice, and the orange juice costs more than orange-flavored drink prepared with orange flavoring and corn syrup.

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Redregon
on a journey.

okay, and i do contend that eating only those things (either ramen or lettuce respectively) on their own isn't ideal.

but still, actually price it out and compare nutritional information. vegetables are actually cheap if you know how to shop right (and avoid wasting them.) a bag of carrots, at my local grocer, is about a dollar for a 2 lb bag. a bunch of celery is about the same. so, in the end it prices out to be about the same and i can get more portions out of those than i could with the comparitively priced pre-packaged foods like ramen. so, if you're going to spend $5 on a stack of ramen packages, take $2 from that and get some carrots and celery to add to your soup. more nutrients for the same general price.

and ramen itself? yeah, that's primarily starches and salt. the amount of salt that we eat is astronomically higher than what our bodies have evolved to be able to tolerate... and those calories are (in my view) mostly junk calories because they have little nutritional value and only really serve to fill your belly.

in no way am i trying to advocate a vegetarian lifestyle but this perception that vegetables and other healthier foods as being priced outside of people's reach is unfounded when you actually think about it (assuming you're not shopping at some poncy place like whole-foods... but, if you are, chances are you don't have a legitimate complaint about your financial situation.)

case in point... i spend the same amount on groceries now as i did when i was dirt-poor and the quality of the foods i eat is much higher since i'm not filling my face with garbage. the only thing that's changed is that i spend a bit more time in the kitchen preparing the food i eat. that's about it. the only reason i avoided eating healthier foods was because i was under the impression that healthy food was more expensive and i couldn't afford it... my grocery bill is pretty much the same now as it was then to be completely honest.

Namaste
Old 01-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
James Ableton
I know.

James Ableton is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a healthy regimen of diet and exercise but the only thing they influence is whether or not I feel like shit that day. I don't let feeling like shit get in the way of my psionics anyway.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

The real solution is to buy a bag of mixed frozen vegetables, and throw some in with the ramen when you're preparing it. Surprisingly filling, adds nutrition, and you still get the calories. No issues with the veggies going to waste, either. Frozen vegetables are actually often nutritionally superior to supermarket fresh vegetables. (Farmer's Market veggies would be best). Crack an egg in there, and you get even more nutrition into it. Nevertheless, you're still eating Ramen.

You need a minimum number of calories each day, whether they're healthy or not. :P Granted, most folks are simply eating too much food, period.

Now walk over the bread aisle, and check the prices. White bread, versus 100% whole wheat bread. Hmmm...
The bread that is more heavily processed costs significantly less. At least half as much. There it is again.
Kool Aid is much cheaper than juice. Over the course of an entire shopping trip, these things add up. What they add up to is, poor folks who are trying to shave off expenses wherever they can, can't afford to buy the healthier options. That extra $10 is actually important to them. That's their gas money, to haul all the stuff home, among other things.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
red30
BANNED

red30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Grow your own produce if you can. Save's money and a trip to the store every week.
red30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #9
ivette17
Lurker

ivette17 is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm Ivette I'm student, and I'm a big fan of your forum. I'm interested in health topics and I agree with you that healthy eating is cheaper than the heaps of processed foods you eat every day.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivette17 View Post
Hi, I'm Ivette I'm student, and I'm a big fan of your forum. I'm interested in health topics and I agree with you that healthy eating is cheaper than the heaps of processed foods you eat every day.

Can be. Check on the supplier, prices can change. I usually do best by getting some quality foods from the supermarket (olives, sundried tomatoes, I shop around like a maniac for them) and most of the rest from ethnic food shops (Carribbean/Pakistani/Polish/Yiddish/Chinese). And of course, chipotle paste for that authentic American smoked jalapeno flavour! THE vital ingredient of barbecue sauce - paprika is good too, but it isn't smoky flavour.

TV dinners are, long term, poison. I take my time eating them, to give my innards more time to adjust to the shock of processing.

I daresay Brexit is going to stiff me on the prices for olives and sundried tomatoes. Guess I'd better stock up now on them.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote