Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Research > Non-Guild Psi Research > Ye Olde Proof of Psi Discussion

Ye Olde Proof of Psi Discussion Discuss proof for or against the existence of psionics. This type of discussion does not belong anywhere else on the forums.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
psionide
Non on a Mission

psionide is an unknown quantity at this point
So why don't we like Randi?

I get the general impression that paranormal skeptic James Randi has a rather bad rep in most OEC's and I was wondering why this is the case. I read through the website of his organization and they don't seem like the bunch of pseudo-skeptics they're often made out to be. So why don't we like old James?

If you need a hug, a tree will never run away from you or file a restraining order against you. Makes good firewood too.

Always pretend to listen carefully to what others say before you call them a moronic twit. It makes it more convincing.

And above all, NEVER LISTEN TO ANY ADVICE IN INTERNET FORUM SIGNATURES!
psionide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
ShadowRain

ShadowRain is an unknown quantity at this point
This article explains a large part of why: http://psipog.net/art-beware-pseudo-skepticism.html
ShadowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Because he's smug.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
psionide
Non on a Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRain View Post
This article explains a large part of why: http://psipog.net/art-beware-pseudo-skepticism.html
I see. So he is rude and has dishonest sub-ordinates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McDonald View Post
Because he's smug.
and a big head.

Thanks!

If you need a hug, a tree will never run away from you or file a restraining order against you. Makes good firewood too.

Always pretend to listen carefully to what others say before you call them a moronic twit. It makes it more convincing.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
Shinichi
The Eternal Student

Shinichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Primarily because the million dollar challenge he has is fake--it's long been established that he doesn't even have a million dollars to give like he says. Or at least the way he says.

And on top of that, he is heavily biased against real psychism. He is on some kind of vendetta to disprove psychics, and though he has helped root out a few fake psychics that were taking advantage of a lot of people, that absolute bias also hurts the credibility of genuine psychics who wish to help people and humanity as a whole.

I think he would do better (or at least be held in better opinion) if the million dollar challenge were real, and if he worked out his bias and approached things in a proper scientific mindset. Such a figure doing such a thing would actually go a long way in both proving real psychics, and filtering out the ones who take advantage of people.

~:Shin:~
Old 07-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
I recall another link to a Randi-debunking page... I can't get to it right now as the site with the link is down for maintenance, but if/when it comes back up I'll post it.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
ShadowRain

ShadowRain is an unknown quantity at this point
This came up in my RSS feed today--more reasons why: http://deanradin.blogspot.com/2010/0...-skeptics.html

The link that Radin directs the person to has several articles as well that may be good: http://www.skepticalinvestigations.org/exam/index.htm
Though I think it's fun that Sean's article from PsiPog is the first on the list :D
ShadowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Jackdaw

Jackdaw is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this is an old thread, but it's the top in the forum so I figure the mods won't mind. Skepticism is good, it keeps us from believing the snake oil salesmen. But to aggressively claim something is impossible is outright foolish. You can only conclude nothing from the absence of proof, not come to the conclusion that something cannot outright exist.

That's where a lot of people have beef with the guy. Any human being could become just as jaded after seeing so many people put so much belief into cons.
Jackdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
Yukihyou
Newcomer

Yukihyou is an unknown quantity at this point
After reading this, I took a look at the actual site for the challenge. It seems to me like they've cleaned their act up at least a little bit, as they have explicitly listed evidence of the million dollars and procedures for distributing it should somebody win it. The problems that I still see are a) the tedious application process, seemingly designed to keep people from applying, and b) the preliminary test, which is not necessarily shown to the public in any way, which would allow the judges to dismiss any claim out of hand if they should choose to do so.
Yukihyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
psionide
Non on a Mission

I thought the same thing. The fact that no one has yet to even pass the preliminary test makes me suspicious. I mean, of all the people who applied, at least some of them must have real abilities. That is, if you actually believe in psionic abilities, which I do. So it comes down to a case of, either I'm crazy, or they're crazy, and I know I'm not crazy. The voices tell me so.