Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Training > Energy Working, Constructs, and Shielding > Non-Psi Foundation Skills

Non-Psi Foundation Skills Meditation, Relaxation, Lucid Dreaming, Hypnosis, and other techniques and practices which are not psionic, but may aid in psi development.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Nightshade
Psion, Philosopher, Psychonaut

Nightshade is an unknown quantity at this point
Questions after recent astral projection experience

Hey everyone, long time no see. Hope you've all been doing well in 2012 and haven't let that whole Mayan thing get to your heads =P

The other night I had my first "true" astral projection. It wasn't a fully complete projection, more like a half projection. I woke up from a dream and was lying on my stomach and about to fall back asleep when I felt myself start to sink through my bed and towards the floor. My bed was making a lot of loud crunching noises as I passed through and if I had to put the feeling into words it was like free-falling from an airplane and sinking to the bottom of a swimming pool simultaneously.

Anyways, the top half of my body passed through the bed while my waist and everything below it stayed on top of the bed. I continued falling through until I was essentially hanging upside-down, as if I was hanging off the edge of my bed with my legs still on top of it. For some reason the lower half of my astral body didn't want to project from my physical body, and therein lies my first question:

How can I get my whole body to project all at once? Is it just something that comes with experience, or is there some sort of technique behind it?

The other thing that struck me as strange was while I was hanging there, through my bed, I realized I was in a pretty compromising position. At that point my lower back began to heat up and burn like fire. For those of you familiar with Kundalini, it felt exactly like that. Which brings me to my second question:

Is it typical for random energies to suddenly "spike" during an astral projection? I've only experienced Kundalini twice before (both experiences separated by three years of inactivity) so it isn't something I was expecting. If anything, I was expecting my psi energy to activate since I've used it almost daily for about 18 years.

This experience has left me a little puzzled. After 8 years of attempting an astral projection off and on with some success (I've projected my arms and legs at most in the past), it finally happened when I wasn't trying to have one. Then, it only happened halfway and it incited a Kundalini experience. Weird.

Eventually I felt my mattress flip onto its side and I began to "slide" off my bed, only for the mattress to completely turn over and leave me hanging underneath it. Afterwards I pulled myself up and the experience was over...I must have pulled myself back up into my body or something. It's hard to tell, with all the moving around I had no idea where I was or where I was facing.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Preferrably someone who has a good amount of experience with APs. Thanks in advanced!

Also, at what point is it ok to open your eyes during a projection? I kept mine closed the whole time but could partially see through my eyelids...I was afraid that if I opened them the experience would end abruptly.

Note: I figured since this was posted in "Non-Psi Foundation Skills" my reference to Kundalini can be forgiven.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
I can only offer you a few generalities as everyone has different "levels" of consciousness and putting consciousness outside of one's immediate surroundings is not easy.

First, some people can bi-locate to a different awareness, sometimes spontaneously, typically for a VERY VERY short period of time. It's more a case of their sensorium (the mind parts that deal with senses) is plugged into a different time/space than they physically occupy.

Staying comfortable in that state is not exactly straightforward when you are awake.

For one thing, ideas like inertia and momemtum don't seem to work the same. Your travelling awareness ("astral body" if you want to use that phrase) isn't constrained the same way that the physical body is, so it takes quite a bit of adjustment before you stop spontaneously "twitching", spontaneously moving to compensate for a sense of balance... because travelling awareness doesn't have mass or weight.

As for opening your eyes, open them when you like. I have heard of some people who could actually read the input from their travelling awareness through their own eyeballs, but I think quite lot of that is down to consciousness training.

The GOOD NEWS is - it doesn't appear to be physically dangerous, although it certainly can feel very spooky at first.

Takes a LOT of getting used to - so practise it. You are free to experience as you will, you are the person in charge of your own mind.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
wolfspy
Paranoid

wolfspy is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been trying to astral project as well, but to no success. Could anyone um... Help me a bit?

I think you can open your eyes once you are fully out of your body.
and the void, and none of that, and I am God and
God does not exist.... perhaps this is madness,
remembering how to kiss the water and embrace the flame.
wolfspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
gavin2797
the philosopher

gavin2797 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been trying for gosh-darn nearly a year now and I've yet to achieve an OOBE, it's different for everyone.

The Kenny-G of the Psionic World.
gavin2797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Nightshade
Psion, Philosopher, Psychonaut

Nightshade is an unknown quantity at this point
That was very informative Pat, thanks for sharing. I agree with you about the importance of practice: it took me this long just to start having significant partial projections--it'll probably be another year or two before I can successfully induce them and control them enough to let me "walk" around a bit.

Wolfspy, what seems to help me is doing some martial arts katas and energy work before going to bed; like doing Tai-Chi mixed with energy manipulation. I think it loosens up my body, gets my energy flowing and keeps my mind active, which prepares me for a projection. It might help you as well.

I have a few questions though Pat.

Is bi-location necessary for having an obe or just something that makes it easier? I think I've experienced something like this before but it usually occured when I was fully awake and actively doing things. I never tied it to astral projection but now that you mention it they do seem related.

Between my first post and this one I had another partial obe, involving only my arms. However, a few times during the experience I saw and felt myself move in my mind--like I was dreaming about it while remaining conscious. It was a lot like bi-location, actually, because I had a dream awareness and a conscious awareness and my senses were part of the dream awareness while my physical body remained numb to my conscious awareness. As if I was in a dream and in reality at once, but taking equally from both to create a hybrid state of awareness/consciousness.

This raises a question I've had for a while: Does an astral projection really pull our consciousness into another dimension, or does it just delve us into our own unconscious minds and perhaps connect us with a universal unconscious? Because during that experience it felt like the dream I was having of me getting out of bed was the astral projection, while the sensation of my arms melting into my chest or up through my bedsheets were just the bi-products. I couldn't tell if I should have put more focus on the dream or on raising my [astral] arms and body out of my bed--they both felt like they were part of the projection. It leaves me wondering what percentage of an astral projection is created by the mind...

But very interesting stuff regardless. Astral projection seems to be one of those things you can practice your entire life and learn something new about it each time. I guess that's because of how elusive the ability/skill is; it's hard to practice daily until after you've had a few years to a decade of practice under your belt and even then, you still have to practice moving around the astral plane, staying there longer, interacting with things, etc...

To anyone who is struggling with astral projection/having an obe, I'd have to say both practice and patience are very important to have. It can be a very slow ability/skill to develop, and can take a while to get from the vibration stage to the projection stage. But once you start projecting body parts and getting closer to that full projection, it's so much better than sitting around making psiballs =P
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Is bi-location necessary for having an obe or just something that makes it easier? I think I've experienced something like this before but it usually occured when I was fully awake and actively doing things. I never tied it to astral projection but now that you mention it they do seem related.
They seem very similar. Depends what state of mind you are in. It seems that there are perceptual states beyond vision, where the nature of systems gets revealed.

I was experimenting with some "expanded consciousness" states of these while remote viewing... what I perceived was something like a Genesha head, with a metallic trunk with water running down it.

The actual target was a cave, with a large rock shaped like an elephant's head, a stalactite running down from it, coloured green by the graduall deposit of minerals over 1,000s of years. So I kind of had a perceptual link into a system, but was watching it at high speed. Not 1/1 truth but elements of truth strung together.

Quote:
Does an astral projection really pull our consciousness into another dimension, or does it just delve us into our own unconscious minds and perhaps connect us with a universal unconscious?
I don't know. You couldn't really tell the difference. I think maybe it's more of an information transfer than a physical travelling. Proving it one way or the other is a formidable challenge, as just because we can't "measure" or "detect" information transfers like that (non-physical, not radio or other EM waves) does not mean that there is no physical wave carrier. It might operate in a way we cannot begin to understand, at the very low sub atomic level.

So I guess we can argue about it. But real definitive answer... sorry. Haven't got one.

The best we have is hypothetical models. My own take on it is that "the information universe" is a non-physical place, having zero width, depth and height, that actually contains all the history of every possible universe.

Whether that's true or not... don't know. But it helps me as a model - an imperfect idea that gives some useful information.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote