Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Training > Energy Working, Constructs, and Shielding > Non-Psi Foundation Skills

Non-Psi Foundation Skills Meditation, Relaxation, Lucid Dreaming, Hypnosis, and other techniques and practices which are not psionic, but may aid in psi development.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Yukihyou
Newcomer

Yukihyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Visualization

I'm starting the training program in WingedWolf's manual, and I'm getting a little hung up on the visualization exercise. I guess I don't know exactly what to expect when I try to visualize something. I mean, I can generate a mental image easily enough, but I don't know if it is supposed to stay just a mental image, or if I'm supposed to project it into my vision center, or what exactly I'm supposed to be doing.

Any advice is greatly appriciated.
Yukihyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Shinichi
The Eternal Student

Shinichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Visualization is just a medium for Intent, and so if you can Intend something cleary enough you don't really need to "visualize" it.

As to genuine visualization, there is a distinct difference between "imagination" and "visualization." When you visualize something, it is so clear in your mind with every vibrant detail that it is as if is real. Not physcally there, but so solid and clear in your mind that it seems so.

My favorite exercises for visualization is in the book "Initiation into Hermetics" by Franz Bardon. I can't type it out at the moment because I'm on my phone, but if you google it you can find the pdf for free. Or someone else can flll in the blanks or give other opinions. :P

~:Shin:~

Edit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step Three Mental Training, Initiation into Hermetics
On this step, we shall widen our concentration power, expanding from one sense
to two or three senses at once. I shall quote some examples, with the help of which the skilled
student will be able to arrange his own sphere of action. Imagine plastically a clock hanging
on the wall with its pendulum swinging to and fro. Your imagination must be so perfect and
so constructive as if it were there, indeed and factually, a clock hanging on the wall. Hang on
to this double imagination of seeing and hearing for five minutes. In the beginning, you will
succeed in doing so for seconds only, but by means of frequent repetition you will be able to
hold on to your imagination for a longer while. Practice makes perfect. Repeat this
experiment with a similar object such as a gong, of which you must hear not only the sound
but also see the person sounding it. Or try to imagine you see a brook and hear the rustling of
the water. Or a cornfield stirred by the wind and you are listening to the whispering of the
breeze. Now try for a change and look for similar experiments, arranging them so that two or
more senses are affected. Other experiments with optical and acoustic imageries may be
composed, e.g., where the eyes and tactual senses (sense of touch) are engaged. All your
senses have to be quickened and trained for concentration. You should make a special point
of seeing, hearing and feeling, all of which is indispensable for progress in magic. I cannot
emphasize enough the high significance these exercises have for your development as a
magician. Practice such exercises carefully and daily. If you will be able to hold on to two or
three sense-concentrations at the same time for at least five minutes, your task will be
accomplished. If you begin to feel tired during the concentration exercises, stop and cease to
go on. Postpone the exercises till a more favorable moment when you feel mentally and
physically fit. Beware of falling asleep during an exercise. Experience has shown early
morning hours to be most suitable for concentration work.
This is usually only learned after a year or two of consistent practice of the previous exercises in the book, so don't be surprised if it's difficult. But, in my opinion, this is Visualization--anything else is no more then a concentrated day dream at best.

However, as I said before, and especially for the psion: Visualization is a medium for Intent, and if you can Intend something properly by its self, Visualization is not necessary to practice psionics. It may be more abstract, but it works if you get the hang of it.

Last edited by Shinichi; 12-09-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Shinichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
red30
BANNED

red30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Take any item in your room, a pencil, a cup etc. Fix your attention on this item as long as you can without falling asleep. Close your eyes and mentally "see" that same item, imagine it there on the table and visualize it with as much clarity as you can, practice constantly. I really see no difference between the use of one's imagination and visualization. To imagine is to mentally see, the same with visualize.
red30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Shinichi
The Eternal Student

To imagine something is to simply have a visual thought. To visualize something is to conciously construct an image in your mind so solid that you can see it as if it were actually in front of you even with your eyes open.

Which reminds me, a particularly good way to practice visualization is to employ the yogic exercise trataka:

Quote:
Sit down at a table and lay before you a series of three simple items, such as a match, a pencil and a salt shaker. For about two minutes stare intently at one of those three items, letting no other thoughts enter into your mind. Get to know the object’s shape well, then close your eyes and against the blackness of your eyelids try to recreate the image in your mind. Spend a moment of this image so as to make an exact, perfect replica of the actual item in your mind. Hold this item in your mind’s eye for about four or five minutes with no other thoughts entering therein. When done, open your eyes and try to visualize the image in the actual air in front of you, suspended a few feet in front of you. Visualize intently until you can essentially see it actually there in your mind with your eyes open. After you hold that visualization for a few moments, move on to visualizing two objects at once in the mind and with the eyes open, then move on to three objects at once. Though at first you will only be able to visualize one item at a time well, you will eventually be able to sustain the image of all three with your eyes open or closed.
By staring at whatever target you choose without thinking of anything else, or perhaps even blinking, you can memorize the details of the object and its then easier to mentally reconstruct the object with the eyes closed and later with the eyes open.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
red30
BANNED

1.Cup your hands as if holding a bowling ball, close your eyes. Now imagine the bowling ball in your hands, think of the color, size, shape, and weight. Focus all your thoughts on this image to the point were you feel the weight of the bowling ball as if it was real.

2.Cup your hands as if holding a bowling ball, close your eyes. Now visualize the bowling ball in your hands, think of the color, size, shape, and weight. Focus all your thoughts on this image to the point were you feel the weight of the bowling ball as if it was real.

Do you really see any difference?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Shinichi
The Eternal Student

Do that and then open your eyes and see the ball, so real and solid in your mind that if it were not a controled act you would classify it as a hallucination.

That, is the difference between casual imagination and an active, plastic visualization.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
red30
BANNED

A tomato's a tomato no matter what you call it. To me and maybe just me, there the same.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Shinichi
The Eternal Student

Eh, I suppose I should have expected a semantics issue. Oh well.

To clarify myself, imagination by my definition is the general, usually receptive or passive mental process of various senses; while trained, plastic visualization is a projective, active mental process used to give shape or Form to the will/intent.

As an example, while learning visualization some people (including me) have struggled with keeping the visualized object still. It would sometimes seem that the visualized obect has a will of its own, and doesn't want to obey the will of the visualizer--this is an act of undisciplined imagination, and will not happen once visualization is properly trained.

I have met many people who agree with you. I have also met many people who can not visualize at all. Several of both were practicing energy workers or psychics, and so I won't degrade this into an argument. :) Suffice to say that I have my method that works and you have yours, and we shall leave it at that