Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Research > Current Projects

Current Projects Current Research Projects the Guild is conducting.

Old 11-20-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
Elliptic

Application of Top-Down Statistical Analysis on PsiGen Data

There is at this point no doubt that psionics is linked to a variety of genes. Demonstration of physical characteristics typical to certain 'types' of born-ons demonstrates conclusively that psi is not tied to any one single gene, and that there are numerous configurations of psi orientation; as numerous, perhaps, as any other trait.

However, science has taught us a need to cluster and identify groups and categories. This is typically done in one of two ways: a bottom-up or a top-down statistical approach. In a bottom-up statistical approach, data is gathered and then compared in a meta-analysis which determines exactly what traits are truly significant in typology as well as what traits are unique to certain 'types' of individuals. These types are then identified based on the cluster and subsequently named.

In top-down statistical analysis, the names are created beforehand, and the data-set is then analyzed to determine what cluster given individuals fall into. This technique is more commonly applied in follow up experimentation, as a new meta-analysis would rarely yield new results given a purely random sampling and properly identified statistical clusters.

It is my feeling, at this point, that to further the research of the Guild's on the genetics of psi function, a top-down approach needs to be adopted. I recommend and would be willing to volunteer my time to do so in this manner: specialties should be decided upon as representative for their group. Following, a very in depth battery profiling not only physical characteristics but the full spectrum of psionic characteristics (the traits demonstrated in every single aspect, area, mode, etc.) needs to be performed on each of these individuals.

Following this, a group of individuals familiar with the type will determine what information in consistent with the typology. Information not considered representative would not be used in identification of that type.

What purpose does this serve? Several. First, it provides a much greater amount of insight into individuals about whom we have very little information (anonymously, of course). It also streamlines identification of these types. By using the new categorization as a diagnostic manual, we could effectively sieve any applicant through the diagnostic system, see what, if any, specialty they match, and then test afterwards. Finally, it allows information regarding various specialties to be provided in a uniform, standardized way, thereby cutting down on confusion and allowing for much more accurate further study.

Because these statistics and such can be time consuming and complicated, I would be willing to offer my assistance in performing them. I would also be very willing to aid in the identification of significant traits in various types. Regardless of whether or not I am involved, however, I believe it is imperative to use this particular model in order to use the data we currently have most effectively. The poll information being gathered at present on the research page is a good framework, but that information is subjective as best, and largely insignificant. Much more precise data regarding every identifying psychic characteristic is necessary to gain a true and thorough understanding of psionic typology.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
johngault22

johngault22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be prepared to be a control born-on because I am a born-on but I don't think I'm a speciality so would be good mark against people who are ones, if that makes sense.
johngault22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:37 PM   #3
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Winged_Wolf is on a distinguished road
I have in my possession (and should repost) a rough draft of a massive survey. I've been calling it "the survey that ate Manhattan"...it is designed to collect information on a person in many areas--physical appearance, medical history, psychology, sleep, and psi abilities.

The completion of this survey would be a useful step toward what you are talking about. Also useful would be a panel of 3 individuals capable of reading birth switches to check each person thus polled (independently of course).

The most difficult aspect of such polling would be A) The people have to be willing to both acquire and divulge certain medical information that most folks don't simply have at their fingertips (such as their personal average blood pressure--and you'd be amazed by how many people don't know their blood type), and B) Finding a substantial number of Nons willing to take this poll, as well as a control group.

This is an extremely complex endeavor, and it's one that hasn't been done yet due to lack of resources. Without funding, it is simply going to take a long time.

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
My Home Page: http://www.wingedwolfpsion.com/
My Author site: http://www.donnafernstrom.com
"We have gone beyond wisdom" - Archchancellor Trymen, 'The Colour of Magic'
Winged_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:33 AM   #4
Nightshade
Psion, Philosopher, Psychonaut

Nightshade is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds interesting...if you are still planning to do this, i can volunteer to take part in the survey. now, i do have a tight schedule, but most weekends i'm available, mostly nearing the midnight hour. i know my blood type (AB positive woo woo lol) but other things i would have to check up on (ie: average blood pressure, BPM, if i'm a birth switch and if so, if i'm a specialty, ect...) if you're not planning on doing this (seeing as how i replied a couple months after the last post) then you can disregard or even delete my post.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
SkyBrother

Maybe we can help one another. I cannot find any files on the Theory of Genetics. If you send me a link, i shall read all the info i can. I will then know what you need. I shall then send you all the info about myself (privately of course) that i can.

Thanks,

SB
Old 02-13-2006, 04:00 AM   #6
SkyBrother

And i feel like an00b. Well i am to the Guild anyhoo. I didn't realise that the files were in the Advanced section. I will send you all the info i can when i can. Just send me a message if this project is still running.

SB
Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Judia

Judia is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd like to help any way I can. I am interested in this myself...
Judia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
G2_Wolf

G2_Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judia View Post
I'd like to help any way I can. I am interested in this myself...
Dates, please learn to read them.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
Judia

Judia is an unknown quantity at this point
ahhh, okay. sorry
Judia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Yoseqlo
Someone

Yoseqlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, that means a correlation, but not exactly a causation, what about the possibility that the born abilities made the person's traits develop that way?
Yoseqlo is offline   Reply With Quote