Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Education > Parenting and Children

Parenting and Children Discuss raising psi-active children, psi-related activities for kids, and more.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
I seem to recall a mad King of Bohemia or other central European country doing an experiment back in the 17th C. The idea was to find the original language of mankind by NOT talking to newborns, but ONLY listening to them and recording the first word they spontaneously spoke.

It was a complete disaster. The infants were kept in adequate comfort but uniformly they died. Presumably from lack of mental stimulation. EDIT: Apparently ancient experiement;-

http://everything2.com/title/The+forbidden+experiment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/scottis...aissance.shtml

Languages are learned by adults pretty much the same as children, in my opinion. Dump the individual in the culture and they will learn. Albeit, it's a lot better if support for the language education is present.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.

Last edited by Pat McDonald; 10-20-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
allaboutsoul

allaboutsoul is an unknown quantity at this point
I hadn't heard of that experiment before. I did a quick Google search and came up with this:

http://www.feralchildren.com/en/experiment.php

That website has info on the kind of children I talked about, who grew up without human interaction, and it lists books on the subject.
allaboutsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #13
NoMad
Device Forum Moderator

NoMad is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat, You lack what people like to call subtlety. In any case there are a lot of studies showing that ANYTHING you teach a child under five is much more likely to be picked up on then if you were to teach them this at a later age. Talk in seven languages to your baby and the kid will speak them all fluently assuming you didn't prefer one language over the next. Reading, math all these kinds of things are easier to learn at that age, it's only things like logical problems that require later brain development to learn. Regardless your statement regarding psychology being flawed is flawed in and of itself, sure it's not a perfect science, but it's given us answers we wouldn't have possibly considered before.

As for the question at hand, yeah I think it's not illogical to make the assumption that a child will learn psionics faster then and adult. For one mental barriers we have regarding how things like that aren't real tend to inhibit us. Also they generally learn faster in a lot of things, psionics shouldn't be excluded. Lastly, my own daughter does things that surprises me a lot. She's not even around me anymore and she shows very extreme psychic tendencies. For instance, my aunt watches my daughter. She tells me that the days before Charli(daughter) gets to come see me, she acts different, and does things like pops up into my aunts room(she doesn't normally do this) and wake her up, or in the case of three days ago she was standing by the foot of the bed facing my aunt (who was in her master bathroom doing her makeup) and she had her arms crossed and was staring at her. My aunt herself said it's like she's expecting something eventful to occur. Another instance which occurred last night is that I took her into my house and showed her to all my friends. She ignored them and basically acted too nervous to talk. Then when she saw my best friend Jason. (who she has never met nor even heard his name) She said "Hi Jason" and waved at him. I just stared in disbelief. He was also the only one she was okay talking with.

I'm not going to pretend that I know what this means, but I've looked at all the options and done my best to disprove my theory, but it seems my daughter has inherited my gifts, because I haven't had her in my care for months and only see her occasionally. But yet she seems to be showing a predisposition to my precognition and telepathy.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMad View Post
Pat, You lack what people like to call subtlety. In any case there are a lot of studies showing that ANYTHING you teach a child under five is much more likely to be picked up on then if you were to teach them this at a later age. Talk in seven languages to your baby and the kid will speak them all fluently assuming you didn't prefer one language over the next. Reading, math all these kinds of things are easier to learn at that age, it's only things like logical problems that require later brain development to learn. Regardless your statement regarding psychology being flawed is flawed in and of itself, sure it's not a perfect science, but it's given us answers we wouldn't have possibly considered before.
Psychology is not a science. It's a set of opinion based on flawed viewpoints. I'm not saying it's worthless.

I'm sticking with saying it's flawed, and I think I just amplified why I think it's flawed.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #15
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Winged_Wolf is on a distinguished road
As a parent, I would say teaching anything deliberately to a child under 5 is always a challenge. How to put away their toys? Sure. How to recite the alphabet? Sounds like fun. How to sit still and not talk for 5 minutes? Good luck, that may take a while. <lol>

Short attention span, boundless energy level, and strong personalities abound at that age. Teaching them to play with a psi ball is within the realm of possibility. Teaching them to astrally project probably isn't going to happen. Teaching shielding...well, good luck.

I decided to let my children reach an age where I can explain what I'm going to be teaching to them first. And then let them decide when they're ready to learn it. My daughter is almost 6, and she's ready to learn. My son is 8, and he's not interested.

Kids are open to everything, and don't question? Hardly! My son is quite the skeptic, and always has been. ^_^
Will they learn faster than someone who's older? Sorry, we don't know enough about psi development to be sure--we can only guess. Try it and see. But their energy systems may not be mature enough for it to be so simple for them, at least in some cases, so that's a factor to keep in mind.

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
My Home Page: http://www.wingedwolfpsion.com/
My Author site: http://www.donnafernstrom.com
"We have gone beyond wisdom" - Archchancellor Trymen, 'The Colour of Magic'
Winged_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
mikelj84606

mikelj84606 is an unknown quantity at this point
children just like adults have to be opened to it. there are many ways to open someone to the world of Psionics but the easiest by far is to have them experience it and want to learn more. so your son may not soon have an eye opening experience that doesn't mean he will never want anything to do with it. he is showing interest in it by questioning it. I suggest to take that as key that he is interested. evin though it is something he thinks is girly (ask him I am sure will agree that he thinks it is girly). any who I am little busy and gotta go. good luck to you and your children.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #17
Nightshade
Psion, Philosopher, Psychonaut

Nightshade is an unknown quantity at this point
As humans we have more capacity to learn as children. There is an evolutionary purpose for this; we need to adapt as quickly as possible to our world and the dangers therein. The quickest way would be to learn things about this world. Therefore, we learn quicker as children, which has been suggested through research (note how I said suggested, since there can always be exceptions to this "rule").

However, it does depend on the individual. One might say that it is easier to learn how to ride a bike as a child because of all the free time, desire to be like our friends, and just the nature of childhood. But I'm sure most of us here have known someone that never learned how to ride a bike. It just wasn't for them. So although children may have more capacity to learn than adults, that doesn't mean that they can learn EVERYTHING easier as children.

The whole belief idea does make sense, however in order to effectively and fully learn psionics one must understand what it is they are learning. This of course depends on the individual. It is hard to say if children learn psionics easier or not. However, if they show interest then I would start them off as early as possible. They may not learn it quickly, but by starting early they will have more time to pick it up. And of course, if they show no interest in it then they are very unlikely to learn it at all.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
mikelj84606

mikelj84606 is an unknown quantity at this point
agreed. you are very wise on this subject and you post is easily intelligible. children like other people can learn easily but still has to do with intent if they want to learn it they will able to. I would suggest that a child would want to learn something if they had reason to. such as this learn to survive theory that was discussed above.
again thankyou for the above post it is really informative and you did your homework well.