Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Education > Parenting and Children

Parenting and Children Discuss raising psi-active children, psi-related activities for kids, and more.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
allaboutsoul

allaboutsoul is an unknown quantity at this point
Do children pick up psionic abilities easily?

This is just a question I have. Do children pick up psionics more easily than older people? Do they learn more quickly? I thought maybe this could be the case because a child would be less likely to question the possibility of the existence of such abilities.
allaboutsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Lok

Lok is an unknown quantity at this point
Kids

I think that children are much more unihibited than we are and the world is full of new things so it doesn't seem to occur to my son that he can't do something. The down side to that is disciplining him for inappropriate use of power.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
allaboutsoul

That makes sense: that it won't occur to children to think that psionics is odd.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
mr.odd
what's that over there?

Location: currently in the U.S. hoping to travel for a time within the next two decades.
mr.odd is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok View Post
I think that children are much more unihibited than we are and the world is full of new things so it doesn't seem to occur to my son that he can't do something. The down side to that is disciplining him for inappropriate use of power.
I've heard others say similar things. Many children probably have psi abilities, but are taught to ignore them by their parents/guardians.
mr.odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Lok

children

Considering the hard time I had with my powers considering I had one parent who was totally understanding and one that thought I was worshipping the Devil(which I was so not doing and have never done) my mother and I thought it best to just accept what my son does and he only gets in trouble when he knowingly hurts someone else. There was no way me or my sisters could tell our children that it wasn't real when we do it ourselves. It does make their mates uneasy but they're pretty good about it. It often amazes us to see the kids do things that because of our inhibitions we can't do. Although, at the moment, we're trying to teach the 1 year old to stay out of my head because every time I swear so does he.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
In general, children learn more easily than adults about EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. I can't see why this would not apply to psychic functioning.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
allaboutsoul

Critical Period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McDonald View Post
In general, children learn more easily than adults about EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. I can't see why this would not apply to psychic functioning.
I didn't think of that. That makes me think of something else. I'm a psychology major in college, and when I took a childhood development class, there was a lot of talk about critical periods for certain things to develop. A critical period, just to make sure we're on the same page, is basically a period of time in which, if something is not developed then, it will be very difficult or impossible to develop it after that time period is over. An example is language. There is thought to be a critical period for the development of language in children, after which they cannot learn language well. There have been cases of "feral children" who were not around people during this time and picked up very little language later.

I'm wondering if there is a critical period for the best development of psionic abilities. Obviously one can learn them way past childhood, but maybe there is a time it would be best to learn? Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #8
Lok

Cool Kids

I'm not sure if there is a critical period. Both my friends and I communicated in a very limited way with our offspring in the womb. All of the children have continued to develop since birth. I have known people whose abilities were stimulated by trauma or injury. I think it's different for everyone. I've often thought that the abilities manifest when the person is ready to accept them.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutsoul View Post
I didn't think of that. That makes me think of something else. I'm a psychology major in college, and when I took a childhood development class, there was a lot of talk about critical periods for certain things to develop. A critical period, just to make sure we're on the same page, is basically a period of time in which, if something is not developed then, it will be very difficult or impossible to develop it after that time period is over. An example is language. There is thought to be a critical period for the development of language in children, after which they cannot learn language well. There have been cases of "feral children" who were not around people during this time and picked up very little language later.

I'm wondering if there is a critical period for the best development of psionic abilities. Obviously one can learn them way past childhood, but maybe there is a time it would be best to learn? Any thoughts on this?
Yup. Psychology is a the study of the mind, but 98% of the practical side is the study of behaviour.

The "holy grail" of psychology appears to me to be the "self actualising individiaul" - the individual that does not need to be taught, but can self learn and adjust their own mind to suit circumstances. Their are classical traits for self actualising, but possession of them does not guarantee a genius creating Einstein, Mozart, Da Vinci or leadership qualities of Elizabeth 1st, Catherine the Great, etc.

The reality is, that practically nobody reaches "top" potential. And perhaps this is because soceity is structured to produce enough wage slaves and prostitutes to make sure the ruling class stay happy. That's more of a political/social discussion than an individual development one.

Put it another way - a similar question appeared on an RV discussion group, asking why an adult could not show RV capability. The fact is, 12 years or so ago I would never have entertained the idea that RV or any psychic phenomena was possible. I drew the boundary, so it stayed there.

Now, for many reasons, the veil has lifted and I can appreciate that what I thought was the limitation of "reality" was not in fact the case.

So, yes, it is possible for us to overcome the lack of an education at a specific time.

Or, the classical "if a child doesn't learn how to do this it is difficult or impossible for them" is a myth. Education and development continues after adulthood has reached. The fact that psychology chooses to infore this is the fault of psychology.

I try to learn something new every day. And the day I stop learning, shoot me - I'm already dead.

I could ramble on about this subject for days. I'll try to organise some thoughts and post them, OK?

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
allaboutsoul

I don't think there's a clear critical period for everything. The language one does make sense, although there was one study on a girl who never learned much language in which the girl was locked in a room for years and given hardly any human contact, so maybe psychological damage was more of a factor there. One can't be sure if something's not a true experiment, with everything controlled, and of course one wouldn't want to deprive children of language on purpose, so we have to go by case studies with such things.

I have heard of self-actualization, although I'm not sure it has to do with learning. It is a humanist idea about reaching some sort of potential for goodness. One reaches self-actualization when all of one's needs are met in a hierarchy of needs. If I had an intro. to psychology book I would look it up and tell you more, but unfortunately I don't have my book from that.

I'm definitely not saying that one can't keep learning as one grows older.