Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Training > Mental Abilities

Mental Abilities Sensing and affecting thoughts, emotions, nervous system impulses, and instincts.

View Poll Results: Should I do this?
Yes, it is a good idea 11 30.56%
No, it is unethical 15 41.67%
No, you wouldn't be able to do it 6 16.67%
Unsure 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #21
Babymagnet
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
Babymagnet is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constructman View Post
I was thinking about using telepathy to somehow "correct" my rebellious classmates into actually listening to the teacher. Is this a good idea?
I voted for the no, I would not be able to, which is wrong cause I'm able to do whatever I want if I put my mind to it.

Anyways - NO.
Cause it is not ethical.
I came here for the ethics.

Have you tried talking to them about this?
Babymagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
Constructman
Lurker
 
Constructman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Not on the Guild
Posts: 307
Rep Power: 0
Constructman is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, but they don't listen. I've kinda given up on this; now, I'm training myself to just stay calm (read the V Society thread for more info; some guy quoted the Dao De Ching).
__________________
There used to be a sig here but I got bored of it so now it's gone
Constructman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #23
ArchMage
A Self-Teaching Apprentice
 
ArchMage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winterhold
Posts: 134
Rep Power: 0
ArchMage is an unknown quantity at this point
When people are irritating I use telepathy to make them to think that they want to stop, and they almost always do. I would think it is more ethical because they aren't aware I'm imposing my own thoughts on them.
__________________
ArchMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #24
Tankdown
Loser
 
Tankdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 171
Rep Power: 0
Tankdown is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchMage View Post
When people are irritating I use telepathy to make them to think that they want to stop, and they almost always do. I would think it is more ethical because they aren't aware I'm imposing my own thoughts on them.
Sounds like an excellent philosophy to test on your bank account.

As long you're not aware. :D
__________________
Reason and emotion has yet to help me succeed.
Tankdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #25
Constructman
Lurker
 
Constructman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Not on the Guild
Posts: 307
Rep Power: 0
Constructman is an unknown quantity at this point
That's exactly what I try to do: I try to control people's thoughts while making them belive"black"]believe[/COLOR] that those thoughts are their own. It hasn't really been working (BECAUSE I'M A FAIL PSION), though maybe it's for the best; my intentions seem to start going into 1984 material (ever read the book by George Orwell?)
__________________
There used to be a sig here but I got bored of it so now it's gone
Constructman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #26
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey
 
Pat McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 2,494
Rep Power: 12
Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constructman View Post
That's exactly what I try to do: I try to control people's thoughts while making them belive"black"]believe[/COLOR] that those thoughts are their own. It hasn't really been working (BECAUSE I'M A FAIL PSION), though maybe it's for the best; my intentions seem to start going into 1984 material (ever read the book by George Orwell?)
Yes I have read that book.

I have observed many, many times that people are only too willing to ignore a truth if it somehow conflicts with their existing belief system... but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Remove foundations of belief, people have a very real problem in terms of sudden mental and emotional instability... can take years to evolve a new belief system that accounts for the "anomalous" information. Rather than risk a change, people will go along with the beliefs as, well, they've worked up to now and there's no perceived benefit in changing. "Telling the Truth can be Very Dangerous."

On the other hand, if what you are trying to put in is clearly false data anyway then the robust factor of disbelief kicks in again... only now they don't want to go your way because it there is a clear logical problem with it.

Sticking to perceived truths, and gentle inquiry into belief, is a much better way to go about it. Or put it another way (which experience has taught me);-

"Honesty is the ONLY policy." A lie or an untruth will always be uncovered, in time.
__________________
Beware virii that hide in signatures. Nasty, nasty hackers out there. Usually they appear in Personal Messages, not on a forum.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #27
bluename
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
bluename is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin2797 View Post
this boarders on ethics, but seeing those who sherk education so blatantly do anger me. ehh go ahead, less the masses become even MORE ignorant.

They don't choose what classes they get. I'm sure there is some sort of topic of education that you do not want and wouldn't listen to... that is why I don't let people anger me just because they did that, although I am concerned about their future, I mean good grades are important... I do not believe that every piece of knowledge in the world is so worth learning that one deserves the wrath of people if they don't accept every one though.
bluename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #28
Minsc
Senior Member
 
Minsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 593
Rep Power: 9
Minsc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluename View Post
They don't choose what classes they get.
Yeah! School is mind control enough without telepathic teachers in the mix!
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #29
Constructman
Lurker
 
Constructman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Not on the Guild
Posts: 307
Rep Power: 0
Constructman is an unknown quantity at this point
New city, new school, and this isn't really a problem anymore. Is it just Chinese/Indian kids? I don't really feel the urge to fry their brains like my old class
__________________
There used to be a sig here but I got bored of it so now it's gone
Constructman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #30
Spymaster1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
Spymaster1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I like this. I've done it before. There is also a technique I like to employ often where I connect to the entire class, and concentrate on us focusing on the class and collectively working together for greater results.

I do this in choirs too, sometimes. It's fun and useful.
Spymaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.