Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Training > Mental Abilities

Mental Abilities Sensing and affecting thoughts, emotions, nervous system impulses, and instincts.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #11
Spymaster1

Spymaster1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Now, I didn't say I didn't believe in free will. Just that I don't follow that principle strictly. And it had nothing to do with beliefs or compatibility; we got along pretty much perfectly. There was simply one situation which caused us to drift, that they stubbornly walked away from, and I'm trying to telepathically influence them to return.

I like this ethical discussion we're having here, my personal opinion is that in this scenario, the ends justify the means - sure, you might be slightly manipulating their one choice - but it isn't a bad thing to fix a friendship and repair mistakes/problems using psi, is it now?
Spymaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spymaster1 View Post
Now, I didn't say I didn't believe in free will. Just that I don't follow that principle strictly.
If you will engage in such behaviour, then you can hardly complain if others bend you to their will.

And there is no gurantee of success with any sort of psi activity.

You want a guarantee? Buy an electrical appliance. People are not objects to be twisted and pushed around.

I'm through arguing on the subject, I think I've reasonably covered the reasons why this kind of behaviour is not a good idea... without consent, there is no "we".

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #13
Spymaster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McDonald View Post
If you will engage in such behaviour, then you can hardly complain if others bend you to their will.

And there is no gurantee of success with any sort of psi activity.

You want a guarantee? Buy an electrical appliance. People are not objects to be twisted and pushed around.
I know psi abilities aren't a guarantee. That doesn't mean I can't try, however. As for people bending me to their will? Depends on what they're trying to get me to do.

Either way, by saying "people are not objects to be twisted and pushed around" - you make it seem as though I'm trying to control and harm this friend. I am not. I would never. You would think that fixing friendships is a good thing. The ends justify the means.

But I do respect your views, and I do agree that there isn't a guarantee of success with psi abilities either.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

<shrugs> I am not at your perspective and am not aware of even half the situational information.

My gut feeling is your goal is futile - but of course, I could be wrong in this.

This document just arrived for my attention, you might find it of use. I haven't digested it thoroughly but it might change your perspective on at least some of the pitfalls involved;-

http://probablefuture.com/p558.htm

EDIT: Please be aware that that site's "owner", Gerald O'Donnel, makes at least one disprovable claim. He claims employment by a Western European Intelligence Agency for remote viewing purposes. However, no Western European Agency would dare employ an American for intelligence purposes as that would put them in direct conflict with US Intel agencies.

So take it with a pinch of salt, OK? It might be useful, it might not.

Last edited by Pat McDonald; 11-14-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Spymaster1

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #16
Spymaster1

Quote:
My gut feeling is your goal is futile - but of course, I could be wrong in this.
Could you elaborate on this? What do you mean by futile, and why do you think so? Of course there is margin for error, but I'm still interested in what you did sense.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:12 AM   #17
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Your goal is futile = you aim to have the friendship restored to its former status.

The other party really isn't interested in that.

Whether or not that is true is for you to discover.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #18
Spymaster1

Quote:
Your goal is futile = you aim to have the friendship restored to its former status.

The other party really isn't interested in that.

Whether or not that is true is for you to discover.
The very reason for telepathic suggestion? :P
Old 12-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #19
dragonfly free

dragonfly free is an unknown quantity at this point
I completely agree with Pat.

And I do not think you are this person's friend!
dragonfly free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
Spymaster1

I WAS.

The point is, there was a mistake that occurred, and now they think it won't work out, but they're just unwilling to put in the effort.

I want to change that. The ends justify the means. I know for a fact that if I make them want to fix this, they will. I won't care about anything else.

Free will? "Beautiful"? No. It's really not.

Free will is arguably the root cause of all the problems in this world. Free will prevents people from cooperating or doing what must be done for the world to be a better place. Free will sucks. I hate free will, it has done me injustice and caused me so much pain. I have no problem subjugating it when necessary. I just want this person's friendship back, and I'll do anything for it.