Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > General > Chatter > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself--tell a bit about yourself, and your interests. Do try to make it more interesting than just "hi, I'm here". ;)

Old 02-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
waratte

waratte is an unknown quantity at this point
Waratte's introduction

Hello,

I'm waratte, and I'm writing a book of sorts about the occult. I have been searching the internet far and wide for communities like this one.

Previous communities I have found have been very unwelcoming to newbies such as myself, who know nothing about the occult.

So I've been bouncing around to find more relaxed and friendlier communities, and I want to think this is a newbie friendly place right?

In return, I hope to be as active as I can here and at the same time learn from the wealth of knowledge this community has.

I will have lots of questions of course, my first one being where should I start and what should I read up on?
waratte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Guild.

I am honoured to give my opinions to your questions.

I would recommend working your book around a timeline. That will give you some kind of framework to report how "occult" ("hidden") ideas and concepts have evolved and affected each other.

DO read the FAQ. "Psionics" is a reletively recent word and model for mental powers, dating from the early 70s and probably earlier.

So although members might not be able to give you an "occult" based opinion, there is a lot of data already posted.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
waratte

waratte is an unknown quantity at this point
Also, I have been trying to find a word to use to place all of this... relatively unknown knowledge under. My first thought was "occult", but what word would you recommend I should use?

And a timeline? Could you give me an example, that sounds like a good idea. My current plan was to create a general, but comprehensive account of "this" as it is now. Now being from about early 2000s until now. I won't focus too much on the past, but only enough that it can explain the present well enough... if that makes sense!

But I do find it really interesting to delve into the history of "psionics" and this community also

Also, I've noticed the forums may not be as active as I hope (or maybe everyone is on vacation?/busy?), but would you recommend the IRC channel for general discussion?
waratte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waratte View Post
Also, I have been trying to find a word to use to place all of this... relatively unknown knowledge under. My first thought was "occult", but what word would you recommend I should use?
You could just invent one. "Mystical Models" seems apt.

Occult is I think Latin for hidden. Kabala would be the Hebrew equivalent. The Arabic Qiblah might have had a similar meanng originally but now refers purely to the direction a Muslim faces when they prey ("Their Qiblah is not your Qiblah" is the Koranc quote I think.)

Science invented a no go taboo for scientists called parapsychology. Very few scientista experiment n that area, due to fear of ridicule.

If you google "RV timeline" you should find an example of such studies, ASPR has more but will charge for them. lfr.org has some of this reseach and is perhaps a better introduction.

Noetic.org has others, co-founded by Edgar Mitchell, the recently deceased Apollo astronaut.

Now, If you won't take it from Nobel prize winners or NASA astronauts, WTF good am I going to do?

The rest I have no Input on.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote