Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Support > Support Discussions > Ethics Discussion

Ethics Discussion Discuss ethical concerns related to the use of psionics.

View Poll Results: Do think it would be moral????
Yes 17 58.62%
No 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2009, 05:53 AM   #31
EschatonFlux

EschatonFlux is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it's moral to do anything as long as it doesn't affect someone. Honestly, if you came up to somebody and said, I sense that you are overwhelmed, and my intentions are good... Let me help you, they'd probably be awestruck.

Then again, if no action was taken, what's the difference between you and a silent sort of God? How many theistic people do you know that get pissed that God knows their thoughts?
EschatonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #32
Caz
[prefstring: comforting whirs]

Caz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rane View Post
The title explains it, is there a way reading someones mind without permission can be moral. Well I have a hypothetical for you.
there is a man with the abilities empathy and mind reading. In the store he senses a woman's emotion. She feels sad and depressed. Would it be moral to read her mind to find out the problem and help her either through talking to her, using a help line, or just the good old "snap-out-of-it-your-problems-aren't-that-bad" slap(if she is overreacting)??
I think it might if you only read that part of her mind and don't go digging for her innermost secrets.

I think the most 'moral' way to go about doing this would be to actually ask her subconscious if it was alright for you to see and try to help, and then if you could convince it, to continue your scanning. That way, it always remains her choice and you're never in danger of breaking any moral codes. A similar method I've found is to add a permission filter to your scans, in that it will only pick up information that you have been granted access to by the individual. If you're going to do that, just make sure you add other filters which make sure that important information won't be blocked so you can still get a feel for it - I go for blocking specifics rather than general feelings so I don't miss things out. And don't leave it on all the time, either. Just when needed. :P
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #33
New2
Local Haunt

New2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure about that. Because can't she just say 'yes' subconsciously without even knowing consciously what is going on? Especially if she's not used to that sort of thing?
New2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #34
NoMad
Device Forum Moderator

NoMad is an unknown quantity at this point
In short, yes, yes she can.

BUT,the subconscious mind generally would know what the conscious mind wants, before the conscious mind wants it. But it depends on if you subscribe to that specific dogma regarding sub-c mind and conscious mind relations. I'm not really sure if there is evidence supporting any sort of theory that the sub-c knows what the conscious mind wants.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #35
New2
Local Haunt

Maybe the sub-c would say it's ok, while the conscious mind doesn't even know what's going on yet & would only be thinking 'sure, I'll do somebody a small favor...'. Then 'bam', that's 'not cool' if something is done & found out for real. I don't think I fall in favor of that sub-c knows what the conscious mind wants before it wants it.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #36
Rath

Rath is an unknown quantity at this point
I tend to scan the people around me for whats on their mind... it happened when a girl was cheating on me.

it might be wrong but sometimes just a scan wont be bad
Old 01-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #37
New2
Local Haunt

I would say it depends on if you're just probing probing probing. Maybe in certain situations, but really, I don't want any more people just in my mind all the time (if they can help it).