Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Support > Support Discussions > Ethics Discussion

Ethics Discussion Discuss ethical concerns related to the use of psionics.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:40 AM   #11
psi seeker 34
highly advanced non

psi seeker 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
That is one of the few things that offends me if you wern't jokeing I would
scream at you for saying "Minors aren't human anyway"

The biggest illusion in reality is that reality itself is an illusion. Reality itself is in fact not an illusion that is why we obey it's rules not the other way around.
psi seeker 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 AM   #12
Gildreth

Gildreth is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll give you a serious reply about the minors. it's up to their parents, whose right it is to accept or refuse any treatment, particularly from a stranger. I could just imagine how some parents may react if someone offered "laying of hands" on their kids.

if someone is unconscious, it is more likely that they will need first aid than psionic assistance. In comatose patients, the right of acceptance or refusal is in the hands of their legally recognized representative/caretaker. likewise for reasons of mental incapacity.

in other words, if a patient isn't capable of rendering consent, and a legal representative, parent, or guardian is not present, it's the same as refusal. at least that's the rule for qualifying in clinical studies. this even includes ambulance instructions for stroke patients.

but not cpr.
Gildreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #13
Amaya
Administrator

Amaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Life saving measures for a person entirely unable to give consent is considered to fit under implied consent, health care wise.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
Ancient_Arcane

Ancient_Arcane is an unknown quantity at this point
For most nons and the unaware of real power, they consider anyone that affects them without their permission as being invasive.

Initially, I believed that as well, and even got very angry at WingedWolf about something she did with me, without permission.

However, as I've become more attuned to power, I can now see that every human affects each other constantly with energy, sometimes in extremely invasive ways.

For example, energy-workers tend to unconsciously affect everyone around them. This ranges from creating affinities with some, pushing others away, and reaching past people's natural shields to get them to do things.

In all, I'd say we need to be as aware of what we are doing as possible, and vigilant in not allowing our sub-conscious to do as it likes.

If we choose to help others around us, ask them first. And where such consent isn't possible, do what they would want for themselves, as well as what you'd want done to you in a similar situation.

In short, be honorable with your powers.

Awakened have the opportunity to change themselves tremendously. We can delete old memories, temper our ego, alter our programming and mod our systems. The result means total personality shift and the ability to choose who we wish to be. Happiness and calm are within our grasp.
Ancient_Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
New2
Local Haunt

New2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I keep thinking that if you could do something for the person in an extreme situation, it would be ok. But only if you really know what you're doing or it's some kind of extreme last ditch life or death thing. I know personally, if I could do something, I would not just sit around & watch in those situations. It should feel like the right thing to do when you do it if you're going to, not like you're doing something crazy.
New2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #16
ShadowRain

ShadowRain is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2 View Post
It should feel like the right thing to do when you do it if you're going to, not like you're doing something crazy.
Some last-ditch life-saving medical techniques have felt pretty crazy to the doctors implementing them at the time. Lots of people around them thought they were crazy. But they saved the person's life. So feeling crazy isn't *always* a good measure. I know what you mean though...
ShadowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
thais

thais is an unknown quantity at this point
Medical Consent= an understanding adult or legal guardian, an incapacitated adult without a legal directive refusing care, a minor without a legal guardian or directive where life or limb is in danger. A person under arrest or incarcerated for a felony charge loses the right to refuse medical treatment.
Limb can be taken to mean any body organ.

Apologies for sarcastic reply. Still curious what constitutes energetic unconsciousness.
thais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #18
New2
Local Haunt

New2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yah, if you know it's the right thing to do then that feeling/knowledge/whatever takes priority.
New2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #19
psi seeker 34
highly advanced non

psi seeker 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
What constitutes energetic unconsciousness could be being stripped of all abilitys however the person can still tell you what they want. Perhaps having ones body taken
over by a astral being like a demon.

The biggest illusion in reality is that reality itself is an illusion. Reality itself is in fact not an illusion that is why we obey it's rules not the other way around.
psi seeker 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #20
Gildreth

Gildreth is an unknown quantity at this point
to amaya: I did account for that, hence the final note about CPR :)

but what constitutes psionic CPR? and does implicit consent in legal terms even count with a healing technique not recognized by the law as it is written? say if someone were to rip your shoes off to perform live-saving acupressure without consent...
Gildreth is offline   Reply With Quote