Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Support > Support Discussions > Ethics Discussion

Ethics Discussion Discuss ethical concerns related to the use of psionics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Xelothen
Newbie
 
Xelothen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL, US
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
Xelothen is an unknown quantity at this point
Should the practice of psionics be controlled?

Basically what the thread title says. Should it? At least to a certain degree?

Lets face it, some people would like to do things for the wrong reasons (I believe right/wrong to be a "point of view" deal, but that's a different discussion). They may start practicing on innocent reasons, but then later realize that they could use it for very different reasons like revenge, etc.

I realize that it could take a person quite awhile to get to the point of using it on a large scale, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they would be motivated by using it for the wrong reasons. Would it be right to not let that person practice because of those reasons, or would it be better to try and help the person see to look on the positives of practicing instead, and lead him/her away from being motivated by negative reasons?

There's also another subject related to being motivated by negative reasons, which is the potential capabilities which come from practicing psionics.

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it;" - William Pitt

Going back to the person I used previously, (s)he started out innocently enough, until (s)he realized that the potential power of practicing psionics could be used to get back at people (s)he hated.

So, to restate the question: Should the practice of psionics be controlled to a degree, and does the potential of psionics have the possibility of corrupting those that practice it?
Xelothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
Golden Psi
Senior Member
 
Golden Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 618
Rep Power: 0
Golden Psi is an unknown quantity at this point
Most of the time, those who get far enough in psionics to do any damage are of good intent. Usually that is because those with negative influence won't actually have the motivation to get that far. Anyhow, policing psionics shouldn't really be done, in my opinion. It is a natural ability of the mind, and taking away something natural is wrong. It's like if I cut off your arm because you might commit a robbery; that's not really my right.

On another note, it's impractical. A strong psion can mask their presence and fight off other psions. Tracking them down and shutting down their abilities would likely be more effort than it's worth.
__________________
The only source of knowledge is from those who seek it.
Golden Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Constructman
Lurker
 
Constructman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Not on the Guild
Posts: 307
Rep Power: 0
Constructman is an unknown quantity at this point
The question shouldn't be should but how. How do you monitor abilities? The only way to regulate use of psi is to either seal them or to brainwash them.

On your other note, any type of power can corrupt. People are quite susceptible to misuse their capabilities. For me, it's anger. Often times when I'm mad, I get tempted to do this (although I would fail miserably if I tried; nobody is this powerful).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISPz3KZv5OE
__________________
There used to be a sig here but I got bored of it so now it's gone
Constructman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey
 
Pat McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 2,424
Rep Power: 11
Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
In a word... nah.

Everyone controls themselves.

The idea of one set of elite psions bullying everyone else into behaviour conformity is silly. What a COLLOSAL waste of energy.

Now, encouraging people to "do the right thing" - that's the way forward.

Beating people with a stick to get them to toe the line - with this stuff? You got to be kidding.
__________________
Beware virii that hide in signatures. Nasty, nasty hackers out there. Usually they appear in Personal Messages, not on a forum.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Constructman
Lurker
 
Constructman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Not on the Guild
Posts: 307
Rep Power: 0
Constructman is an unknown quantity at this point
Also, it is next to imposible to moniter other people's thoughts 24/7, so you can't really control their abilities. You can only react and fix what they do.
__________________
There used to be a sig here but I got bored of it so now it's gone

Last edited by Constructman; 02-22-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Problem with quoting
Constructman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Golden Psi
Senior Member
 
Golden Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 618
Rep Power: 0
Golden Psi is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually, it is possible for a psion to shut down another psion's abilities. However, like pat said, having an elite policing group is just wrong.
__________________
The only source of knowledge is from those who seek it.
Golden Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
Xelothen
Newbie
 
Xelothen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL, US
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
Xelothen is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Psi View Post
Anyhow, policing psionics shouldn't really be done, in my opinion. It is a natural ability of the mind, and taking away something natural is wrong. It's like if I cut off your arm because you might commit a robbery; that's not really my right.
I agree on the policing of it shouldn't be done, and leaning more towards what Pat McDonald said: "Now, encouraging people to 'do the right thing' - that's the way forward." They have a right to their natural ability, but maybe at least nudge them towards a more positive reason to practice. Like you said, "Most of the time, those who get far enough in psionics to do any damage are of good intent." Most of the time. That still might mean there would be those few individuals who would want to use it for the wrong reasons. Would said people really be anything to worry about?

And I didn't actually know a psion could shut down another psion's abilities. But like you said, doing that just seems, to me, to be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constructman View Post
The question shouldn't be should but how. How do you monitor abilities? The only way to regulate use of psi is to either seal them or to brainwash them.
Hm, that's a good question, I hadn't thought of that. I don't think there's any real to 'keep tabs' on everyone. And, to be perfectly honest, the 'brainwashing' option isn't really that far fetched. Many people, whether for positive or negative reasons to wanting to use it, don't believe that anything psionics related is possible. It wouldn't really take all that much to tell them that it's not, it would really be more of confirming their own beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constructman View Post
On your other note, any type of power can corrupt. People are quite susceptible to misuse their capabilities. For me, it's anger. Often times when I'm mad, I get tempted to do this (although I would fail miserably if I tried; nobody is this powerful).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISPz3KZv5OE
Another point that I agree with, it's not just psionics, any power can corrupt someone. But how would one go about being less corruptible by said power? To keep that person on a well-intended path? Or is there no way to escape said corruption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McDonald View Post
In a word... nah.

Everyone controls themselves.

The idea of one set of elite psions bullying everyone else into behaviour conformity is silly. What a COLLOSAL waste of energy.

Now, encouraging people to "do the right thing" - that's the way forward.
You have a point. Everyone that I know of so far that is practicing psionics has been pretty good intended and matured. Encouraging to at least "do the right thing" is a lot more feasible than said "elite psions bullying everyone". And it's sounds a lot better, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McDonald View Post
Beating people with a stick to get them to toe the line - with this stuff? You got to be kidding.
Well, I thought to bring it up, as different people I brought it up to have had a couple of different views on the subject.
Xelothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
Constructman
Lurker
 
Constructman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Not on the Guild
Posts: 307
Rep Power: 0
Constructman is an unknown quantity at this point
It is possible to seal someone. But isn't it impossible to control one's thoughts without maintaining 24/7 telepathic control? We have the ability to think what we want to think. An it is through the mind that psionics holds its basis.
__________________
There used to be a sig here but I got bored of it so now it's gone
Constructman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
Golden Psi
Senior Member
 
Golden Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 618
Rep Power: 0
Golden Psi is an unknown quantity at this point
Assuming you were strong enough to control someone, you could just create a construct to do it 24/7; they never tire.
__________________
The only source of knowledge is from those who seek it.
Golden Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Infinity
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 0
Infinity is an unknown quantity at this point
A psion police really sounds ridiculous and not needed...
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.