Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Media > Psionics in the News

Psionics in the News News articles from papers, magazines, etc...if you find something interesting in the news that is related to psi, post it here.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Experimenters show results of Mind Reading Machine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...es-brains.html

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
shad0wless
Psi Vamp

shad0wless is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw work on this quite a while ago. (I think it was in Japan?)

The original results had trouble reading numbers that filled the person's vision so it has definitely progressed quite a bit.

However, I doubt that it's anywhere near "mind reading" as the images are more or less pulled directly out of the person's visual cortex and what goes on in there is (to my knowledge) quite different from what happens in conscious thought or memory. Also, MRIs aren't really that accurate when you compare them to the complexity of the brain and they probably won't get much more accurate in the future.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Til

Til is an unknown quantity at this point
I've read about such technologies tested both by using MRI and electroencephalography, however there are 2 major cons of these technologies - computer has to analyze and 'learn' neuron activity of each subject separately, as each of us has slightly different neural pathways, plus you have to either be inside MRI equipment or have a net of electrodes on your head.
It is basically more of thought recognition than mind reading - it just recognizes activity patterns similar to ones analyzed earlier and interprets them.

So while it is possible that in few next years we will see a lot of electronics (computers, cellphones, video games etc.) directed by mind commands after properly calibrating to the user, using some kind of EEG headsets instead of pushing buttons, the danger of governments (or anyone else for that matter, like for example crackers) reading our minds is far away... Beside our TPs ;P

"Hey... I'm a titan... A monolith. Nothing can stop me."
Til is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Hmm... another snag of MRI is resolution. Currently it does not work on the level of the individual neuron, which is what would be required to accurately map a "mind" purely from nerve activity.

This technique doesn't go that path - instead, it measures variations in the blood flow of the visual cortext areas. It's pretty impressive considering the relative "crudity" of the MRI equipment.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Til

Til is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McDonald View Post
Hmm... another snag of MRI is resolution. Currently it does not work on the level of the individual neuron, which is what would be required to accurately map a "mind" purely from nerve activity.
Well, there are techniques allowing to see maybe not each individual neuron, but general pathways - directions in which neurons extend in given area due to intracellular fluid flow etc. IIRC fMRI (functional MRI) can do that and is used to map pathways in human brain which can show how those pathways get changed/broken by various diseases...

"Hey... I'm a titan... A monolith. Nothing can stop me."
Til is offline   Reply With Quote