Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Miscellaneous > Fluff and Flights of Fancy

Fluff and Flights of Fancy Is it absurd, "out there", vanishingly unlikely, ridiculous, or logically a bit questionable? Here's where it goes!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #41
thegrogen
Insane poetic coder

thegrogen is an unknown quantity at this point
Phenyx speaks rightly. I do not grok "Ancients".
I have failed. Yet how can I act as a signpost when the road itself is invisible and the destination unknown, when the road seems to go off the beaten path? Are there signs farther down that road that say “YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A SQUIRREL”?
thegrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #42
notagh
BANNED

notagh is an unknown quantity at this point
Ooo! Ooo! I can stop a nuke with my mind!
*waves hand*
Ya thats me!

It's fairly easy in all respect. Just, when it's launching, mess with the electronotic part of the missile (using trident as an example here) with an easy circuit shorter construct, and then bang the engine, with the 2nd part to cause some widespread chaos with the nuke not even coming close.

Another easy one would be to just (try) to rip a particle off an atom and fling it at the inner warhead. It might cause a semi-nuclear reaction that would fizz the bomb beyond easy repair. Also, you could always stall the engines (engines are easy to stall, no?) enough that it hits the ocean, tail first , which might prevent it from exploding.
If it was coming head on, well, I would try to blow it up when it's over a pretty rural area and high up, nukes are fragile, and the trigger, or explosives are always very easy to set off. People need to think in the ways of efficiently, the time for brawl is past.

But for the me getting hit by the nuke, I dunno.

It just never happened to me for some reason

I PM'ed Arcane about this.

Last edited by notagh; 07-01-2008 at 04:55 AM. Reason: additions
notagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 AM   #43
thegrogen
Insane poetic coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by notagh View Post
Another easy one would be to just (try) to rip a particle off an atom and fling it at the inner warhead. It might cause a semi-nuclear reaction that would fizz the bomb beyond easy repair. Also, you could always stall the engines (engines are easy to stall, no?) enough that it hits the ocean, tail first , which might prevent it from exploding.
Not necessarily. It depends on the engine. A liquid-fuelled engine might have some difficulty, but consider this: one test that was done in the gigantic F-1 engine (the one used on the first stage of the Saturn V, over 1.5 million pounds of thrust) was detonating bombs inside the nozzle to try to destabilize the engine. It just kept on running. Certainly some upper-stage engines have problems with igniters, etc. or shut down early sometimes, but those are usually expensive high-performance, dedicated space-launcher engines. ICBMs tend to use cheap, simple, reliable engines that don't futz up much.

But we're not just talking about a liquid-fuelled engine here, since generally modern ICBMS use solid-fuelled propellants (because they're more responsive - you don't have to fuel them up just prior to firing the way you have to with some liquid-fuelled rockets). It is impossible to shut off a solid-fuelled rocket engine without destroying it. To destroy it, you have to rupture the casing with explosives. That's why when, just after Challenger disintegrated, the launch commentator said "range safety reports the vehicle has exploded" and was referring not to the shuttle, but to the boosters. I'll say this again: you cannot shut down a solid-fuelled rocket engine without destroying it.

So no, an ICBM would be incredibly difficult to "stall".
I have failed. Yet how can I act as a signpost when the road itself is invisible and the destination unknown, when the road seems to go off the beaten path? Are there signs farther down that road that say “YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A SQUIRREL”?

Last edited by thegrogen; 07-01-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #44
notagh
BANNED

notagh is an unknown quantity at this point
stalling

Or so you would think.

With a good enough laser, you could cut the engine part off witout rupturing the container.

And what if it does? It's not like a nuke detonation bomb will pack much kick once seperated from the whead.

Much simpler method.

Give it more power so it goes past you.

Boom.
notagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #45
thegrogen
Insane poetic coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by notagh View Post
With a good enough laser, you could cut the engine part off witout rupturing the container.
I didn't know a mind was capable of manipulating enough energy to get something to lase without actually having a laser... Also, with a solid-fuelled rocket the container IS the engine; the entire rocket itself is basically a combustion chamber, because solid-propellant doesn't flow. It burns right in the "fuel tank", which doubles as the combustion chamber. It's impossible to control the thrust ("fuel flow") of a solid-fuelled motor the same way as a liquid-fuelled engine. There are no valves to close or turbopumps to shut down. That's why a solid-fuel rocket is so simple, and so reliable. Once they start, they don't stop until they're through. That's why they're used on ICBMs.

It's true, though, you could blow the back end (nozzle) off. The rocket would continue to fire, but there wouldn't be enough pressure to really get it much of anywhere, so not much thrust.

Quote:
And what if it does? It's not like a nuke detonation bomb will pack much kick once seperated from the whead.
The detonator is part of the warhead, unless i've misinterpreted what you meant.

Quote:
Give it more power so it goes past you.

Boom.
Aside from the physical difficulties of this... what, so that it hits someone else? Isn't the whole point of stopping a nuke stopping it from hitting anyone?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #46
Phenyx

Phenyx is an unknown quantity at this point
That argument was...special.

I'm just going to assume that at this point you understand how a missile works then.
Life is like a pie. You will occassionally get a sour cherry. And that is when my father told me to shut up sit down and take my elbows off the table, too quit chewing with my mouth open, and to stop playing with my food. Basically, suck it up, and move on.
Phenyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #47
Pavlov's Dog

Pavlov's Dog is on a distinguished road
I pestered one of the guys from the electricians corps into explaining in great detail the workings of the refrigerator he was installing. Luckily, the bastards in the painters corps had spilled a freaking bucketful of paint all over the house, so I was there to listen to it all. As far as missiles are concerned, I tend not to think about it all that much. Seems like it would be much more effective to channel the neutron flows so as to prematurely split the U-235 (fireworks!), or to be absorbed into the nuclei of the U-235 and form U-238 (dud).

Though the absolute easiest thing to do would be to telepathically influence the guy at the launch controls, and have him enter the wrong coordinates.

Just a thought.

Location coordinates not updated during minor breaks, major temporal shifts only.

Potentially no longer actively monitoring forums. Email contact only.
Pavlov's Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #48
Renik

Renik is an unknown quantity at this point
It's easy to declare things as long as you know that nobody can prove you wrong...

For example, I say that there's a teapot floating in space somewhere between mars and earth, but since our telescopes aren't advanced enough to see something that small that far away nobody can prove me wrong, this is the same with the 'stopping a nuke with your mind' thing.
Renik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #49
stolide

stolide is an unknown quantity at this point
Actualy Pavlov is right. Just tps the hell out of the guy with the button. I know for a fact that I can make my friends press the wrong buttons in video games.

stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #50
thegrogen
Insane poetic coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenyx View Post
That argument was...special.

I'm just going to assume that at this point you understand how a missile works then.
I'm a space geek. This stuff interests me. :P