Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Education > Psionics Theory

Psionics Theory Discuss various theories relating to psionics and psi abilities.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #11
psi seeker 34
highly advanced non

psi seeker 34 is on a distinguished road
The only separation I see between psionics and direct magick is methodology. I do agree with night shaddow that psionics intentionally focuses on exercising your internal power and skill where magick takes many dangerous shortcuts enlisting the help of spirit beings in a very greedy fashion.

The biggest illusion in reality is that reality itself is an illusion. Reality itself is in fact not an illusion that is why we obey it's rules not the other way around.
psi seeker 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #12
Conzul
Abandoned Ship

Conzul is an unknown quantity at this point
Ugh, I do hope that magic and psionics aren't the same thing. 'Cus if they are I probably should stay away from it.
Conzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
ArchMage
A Self-Teaching Apprentice

ArchMage is an unknown quantity at this point
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indestinguishable from magic."
-Arthur Clarke

There is a scientific explanation to how psionics work, even if it seems like a miracle now. Personally, this is the only thing I really don't want to have a scientific explanation for; it would take away much of the awesomeness of it.
ArchMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
Metakine

Metakine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi seeker 34 View Post
The only separation I see between psionics and direct magick is methodology. I do agree with night shaddow that psionics intentionally focuses on exercising your internal power and skill where magick takes many dangerous shortcuts enlisting the help of spirit beings in a very greedy fashion.
A large number of magicians (possibly a majority) actually believe that spirits are projections of aspects of the magician's subconscious, not independent beings with their own lives in the way humans are. It's a debate with no real way to reach an answer, but worth considering.

As for the topic at hand, I don't really see a huge difference between the two, in practice. Magic is more ritualized and structured (or conversely, psionics is more stripped down), but any magician worth their wand will tell you that the tools and sigils and incantations are just a way to get yourself into the right state of mind, to maintain concentration and aid in naming the desire precisely. A sufficient proficiency with visualization and concentration should allow you to perform rituals without any of that.

That said, there are differences in application. Magic, as has been said, is more likely to deal with spirits and spiritual matters (knowledge and conversation with the higher self, interaction with entities from different planes of existence) whereas Psionics, to my understanding, mainly focuses on effecting change in the material world or the energy body. In the end, you're still causing change in accordance with the will through the manipulation of subtle forces.
Metakine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
red30
BANNED

red30 is an unknown quantity at this point
To the one above me. Good Post.
red30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
Macman
Great Soul

Macman is on a distinguished road
identity

Magic is an identity, psionic is a different identity. Therefore following the guidance of the identity of psionic will lead to being a Psion and following the guidance of magic will lead to being a mage. This is an ontological arguement I know but a valid one.

I can say from what I have studied is spiritual guidance leads to making choices. Choices are that which a person has to do for themselves. Psi is something intrinsic to you, magic is not. If Psi is intrinsic to you, it is already a consequence of your choices and you just are not aware of it. Psions use that which is intrinsic to them in a practical way and do so because of their choices. Does your spiritual guidance lead you to the truth of that which is or not? If not, find a spirit more reliable for seeking truth.

Words that are useful are for those; to whom that are worthy, to whom that they chose.
Psions are that which Psions are for life is that which life is.

Truth is the only source for free energy.
Patterns are patterns because of how they make use of information to define energy.

I am a psionist and general pain-in-the-ass-to-understand. This humorously speaking and literal all too often. If I don't make sense, then this is your friendly reminder to tell me to be more intuitive.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Winged_Wolf is on a distinguished road
Magic is in many ways more 'spiritual' than psionics is (but this is not true across the board).

I think it needs to be understood that there are a few handfuls of different psionics systems, dozens of different energy-working systems, and hundreds of different magickal systems, with some very widely divergent practices and results.

Talking about magick as though it were all one thing is probably a bit off.

However, psionics is simply not magick. It involves a different approach to reality than all magickal systems, and this different mindset--which is practical, rational, and distinctly non-spiritual -- is what makes psionics attractive to everyone from athiests, to religious folks who want to use these skills without running afoul of the tenets against magick in their religions.

Psionics is about doing work, creating changes in the world around you in much the same way as a carpenter, or an engineer, would do. It's not about finding out who you are inside...
Nor is it in opposition to such things.

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
My Home Page: http://www.wingedwolfpsion.com/
My Author site: http://www.donnafernstrom.com
"We have gone beyond wisdom" - Archchancellor Trymen, 'The Colour of Magic'
Winged_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #18
red30
BANNED

red30 is an unknown quantity at this point
According to Uncle Al, magick is "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will". So if you accept this definition then all systems boil down to one thing, Will. An the power of focusing that will upon the manifestation of a specific intent. It's the same cereal, just with different boxes. Magick (in all it's systems) is the application of the will. Psionic is also the application of the will.
red30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #19
Macman
Great Soul

Macman is on a distinguished road
understanding will

From what I understand the will exists between that which is chosen aka reality and the choice of a person aka transcendent change in the pattern of being of that person.

The tense(?) or aspect of the will you seem to be referencing is the part of the will that touches reality moving toward choice of a person and the part most psionics seems to refer to is the part that touches the choice of a person moving toward reality. Allowing outside forces a shortcut through you to interact with other forces isn't the same as internal forces interacting with outside forces.

Words that are useful are for those; to whom that are worthy, to whom that they chose.
Psions are that which Psions are for life is that which life is.

Truth is the only source for free energy.
Patterns are patterns because of how they make use of information to define energy.

I am a psionist and general pain-in-the-ass-to-understand. This humorously speaking and literal all too often. If I don't make sense, then this is your friendly reminder to tell me to be more intuitive.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #20
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Winged_Wolf is on a distinguished road
By that definition, everything is magick, since every physical move you make is also ultimately the result of your will. Your will alone accomplishes nothing, you have to use it to do things (move energy, even if unconsciously, move your limbs, etc).

So, I would take that idea as not being very useful.

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
My Home Page: http://www.wingedwolfpsion.com/
My Author site: http://www.donnafernstrom.com
"We have gone beyond wisdom" - Archchancellor Trymen, 'The Colour of Magic'
Winged_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote