Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Support > General Health

General Health Discussion area for Health topics

Old 07-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Maryprexy99
Lurker

Maryprexy99 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm troubled by severe migraine

Hello all!

I'm troubled with a severe migraine these days. I'm highly stressed out while working continuously 9 hrs. My work is stressful and I'm unable to handle pressures while multitasking. Sometimes I used to take 3 coffee's per day for getting a relief from tension and stress. I think I need a change from this. I tried some medications but there was of no use. My freind suggested about medical marijuana treatment from a clinic in British Columbia ( https://apollocannabis.ca/british-columbia/). I was hearing it for the first time. I would like to know more about that treatment and about its pros and cons. Is there any limit on how high my prescription can be?
Maryprexy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
OK, here's my take on your situation.

You are under a lot of pressure to succeed. So you have a lot of blood pressure and very tensed up muscles.

Typically, migraines START as a hypertense neck. They are like a natural defence (not all migraines come into this, but it sounds like the most likely source in your case).

You get stress, your body generates pain, as a cue, a signal, for you to drop the stress levels.

Now, you are taking coffee to "relieve the stress" - it makes you feel better, as a feel good factor. It's reminding you of all the good times you've had with coffee - a psychlogical addiction.

Really though, the coffee isn't lowering your blood pressure, it's raising it. Caffeine is a stimulant, it makes the heart beat faster.

OK, downsides of marinjuana - increased paranoia. You are more likely to notice strange sounds, odd coincidences, which are NOT usually important. So it raises awareness. It can affect motor control, and makes you react a bit slower.

If you have a job that depends on fine nerve motor control - for instance, pilot, racing driver, sailor, surgeon - then marijuana is probably not going to help you work, and you should look for alternative methods of stress relief. As a rule of thumb, most jobs that have a problem with marijuana usage already test for it. The exception being political or financial leaders, who somehow never get drug tested for ANYTHING.

OK, that's the downside. The UPSIDE about medical marijuana is that it can help enormously with day to day stress IF you job doesn't depend on you being a sharp eyed, bright eyed bunny. Routine office work, manual (I've earned plenty from cleaning kitchens) then it's not going to impact your working life.

You cannot overdose on marijuana from a toxic point of view - it can't kill you. However, if you have too much, you can lose sleep, hallucinate, or have a psychosis attack (huge amount of irrational fear). I suspect the last is more to do with the legality of the substance than a real chemical effect.

Also, you tend to dream less while under the effect of marijuana. This may or may not have something to do with it's healing properties.

So, while it's a useful herb, it should be treated with respect.

What you CAN get is various treatments labelled as "CBD" or "low/zero THC". THC, tetrahydrocannibonol, is the substance that alters perception. CBDs do not, CBDs are generally speaking NOT psychoactive, they do ease up the tensed muscles and drop the blood pressure. They do tend to be transformed into the digestive system into THC, but the process is slow, much slower than lighting up a pipe and taking a whiff of burning herb.

So, pills or food additives probably best, rather than developing a smoking habit.

I've had a pot smoking habit for decades, the smoking part hasn't done me a bit of good. Too much mixing it with tobacco - don't do that. I did, and it was a stupid thing to do.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
You might want to consider alternative methods of stress relief - quality sex would be tops. Or even just a weekly neck massage. One of my best stress relievers is a foot spa - simple, cheap to run, non-addictive.

Having a pot habit can be a social factor in meeting (or being rejected by) sexual partners, so it's not really possible for me to advise EXACTLY what you should do here.

Bottom line is, you are not having enough fun. Trick is to have fun within your budget and lifestyle ability, and the occasional treat/peak experience as a "memorable" bit of fun.

There are many varieties, and different names like hemp, bhanc etc but they are all the same plant. There are hundreds of varieties now done with genetic modification, but if you get that THC gets you high (intoxicated, floaty feeling), CBD is the physical muscle relaxant, then you've at least got some idea of the issue of medical marijuana as far as you personally should care.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.

Last edited by Pat McDonald; 07-02-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote