Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Support > General Health > Food and Beverage

Food and Beverage Recipes, nutrition information pertinent to psions, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
finjaz
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
finjaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Diet pattern after having teeth whitening procedure

Hey, I have got a discolored teeth. The yellow shade of my teeth won't go away. I have tried several techniques to whiten my teeth. I brush my teeth twice daily. Likewise, I use to floss my teeth frequently.

Now, I am going to seek professional help and has decided to have a teeth whitening procedure from a cosmetic dental clinic in Ajax. Some of my friends have done teeth bleaching. Is teeth whitening and teeth bleaching the same? What is the difference between them?

Also, somebody please suggest a diet pattern that should be followed after having a teeth whitening procedure. What are the foods that can stain the teeth? I have the habit of drinking coffee. Should I stop that habit?
finjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey
 
Pat McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 2,329
Rep Power: 10
Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by finjaz View Post
Is teeth whitening and teeth bleaching the same? What is the difference between them?
Broadly. A bleaching agent uses chemical action to whiten. Teeth whitening can use that, but can also use scraping/dissolving/other techniques.


Quote:
Originally Posted by finjaz View Post
Also, somebody please suggest a diet pattern that should be followed after having a teeth whitening procedure. What are the foods that can stain the teeth? I have the habit of drinking coffee. Should I stop that habit?
Biggest problem I have with that is tobacco, which I presume you DON'T do. Very wise not to get hooked.

Yes, coffee can cause stains. There are others. Everyone knows sugar causes tooth decay, but not so many know that potato starch (chips, crisps whatever you call them) is worse. It stick inbetween the teeth and turns into sugar, just ready to feed the bacteria.

But to be honest, I think maybe just basic brushing technique could help, along with a mouthwash. One thing I avoid is fluoride, which is not so easy to do in the USA - using a natural anti-bacterial agent like tea tree oil does work, although it doesn't foam at all.

Some people advocate no toothpaste or agent at all, just brushing, is the main key. I can't help thinking that plaque buildup depends on bacteria, so you really want to zap that bacteria.

The mouth is a filthy place in its natural state. Best not to dwell too deeply on that.

Little and often is the key. Most hope for a "magic bullet" but what is the point of depending on specialist services for personal everyday health?
__________________
Beware virii that hide in signatures. Nasty, nasty hackers out there. Usually they appear in Personal Messages, not on a forum.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:58 AM   #3
Minsc
Senior Member
 
Minsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 570
Rep Power: 0
Minsc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by finjaz View Post
drinking coffee. Should I stop that habit?
What about a coke habit?

Do you have a coke habit?

Coke and drinks like that also stain your teeth.
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:59 AM   #4
Minsc
Senior Member
 
Minsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 570
Rep Power: 0
Minsc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McDonald View Post
The mouth is a filthy place in its natural state. Best not to dwell too deeply on that.
Supposedly if you punch someone in the mouth and their teeth cut your hand, then your hand gets infected and without antibiotics you could die.
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey
 
Pat McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 2,329
Rep Power: 10
Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
... without antibiotics you could die.
Only if you don't dress the wound.. Clean cuts with water, antiseptic. No problem. No antibiotics needed.

Plus, you do get antibiotic resistant bacteria. You don't come across silver resistant bacteria.

Really serious cases of infected wounds, ozone. Definitely a hospital job for that though.
__________________
Beware virii that hide in signatures. Nasty, nasty hackers out there. Usually they appear in Personal Messages, not on a forum.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey
 
Pat McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 2,329
Rep Power: 10
Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Oh, best thing is just drink water and avoid all that teeth blackening, sweet stuff.

You get more quench power for just water than anything else. So you don't need as much.
__________________
Beware virii that hide in signatures. Nasty, nasty hackers out there. Usually they appear in Personal Messages, not on a forum.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:55 AM   #7
Minsc
Senior Member
 
Minsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 570
Rep Power: 0
Minsc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McDonald View Post
You don't come across silver resistant bacteria.

I use nano-silver toothpaste (bought a bunch recently to try). It doesn't seem any better than regular toothpaste.

Also I normally will rinse my mouth out after brushing but this time I rinse out before and not after so the nano-silver lingers but I haven't noticed any improvements. Mouthwash (both regular and using hydrogen peroxide) does a better job.
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #8
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey
 
Pat McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 2,329
Rep Power: 10
Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Not surprised peroxide leaves your teeth whiter - it's the active ingredient in bleach. :)

See, there's a difference between bacteria and discolouration - but hey, if it works for you and you are happy, fair enough.
__________________
Beware virii that hide in signatures. Nasty, nasty hackers out there. Usually they appear in Personal Messages, not on a forum.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #9
Minsc
Senior Member
 
Minsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 570
Rep Power: 0
Minsc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McDonald View Post
Not surprised peroxide leaves your teeth whiter - it's the active ingredient in bleach. :)

See, there's a difference between bacteria and discolouration - but hey, if it works for you and you are happy, fair enough.

Just for clarification, he means teeth bleach, not laundry bleach, which is sodium hypochlorite and midly toxic.

For a difference... Spill sodium hypochlorite and the fumes are nasty. Spill hydrogen peroxide and it only gives a clean, mild salty smell after it dries.
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey
 
Pat McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 2,329
Rep Power: 10
Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
Oh, a different type of bleach... is bleach.

And technically bleaching is a chemical reaction regardless of origin, so my initial distinction on a difference was in error.

It boils down to toxicity and effects of whatever you use, I'd agree with you there Minsc.
__________________
Beware virii that hide in signatures. Nasty, nasty hackers out there. Usually they appear in Personal Messages, not on a forum.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.