Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > Networking > Online Classes, Meetings, and Events

Online Classes, Meetings, and Events Psion Guild or other.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Winged_Wolf is on a distinguished road
Schools of Thought

Part of the original site, but left alone for a while due to the lack of alternative schools being used by teachers, it's finally time to bring it back.

Now that we have more than a couple of teachers, many of whom have different ideas about the foundations of psionics, and how psionics works, it's time for folks to state their origin theories and help students to understand where various teachers are coming from.

So, folks who teach classes, or have written more than one article:

Please provide just a paragraph (or more, if you want) explaining how you think psionics works, what it is, and any other details you think are significant (things that make your school of thought different from others). If you created it yourself, let us know that--if you got it from somewhere else (or largely from somewhere else), let us know from whom, or where.

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
My Home Page: http://www.wingedwolfpsion.com/
My Author site: http://www.donnafernstrom.com
"We have gone beyond wisdom" - Archchancellor Trymen, 'The Colour of Magic'
Winged_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
C.O.G. Decoy

C.O.G. Decoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Greetings, members of the Psion Guild. At the suggestion of WingedWolf, and with the blessing of the Coalition of Gammas, it is my honor and pleasure to submit to you, the members and visitors of the Psion Guild, the foundation of Coalition Psionics. As the foundation of all Coalition psionic practice, these teachings are utilized mainly as an introduction to Psionics for our initiates immediately following their Unsealing. In this way, the Coalition maintains a uniformity of basic understanding. With that said, we do offer alternative theoretical development and have explored and discovered several "Neo-psionic" theories, but none of them to the date of this writing has held up to dedicated research and development. Therefore, I offer to you the most basic teachings of the Coalition psionic force. This is a direct transcription of the standard Coalition Initiate's Handbook.

What Is Psionics?

Psionics, as understood and taught by the Coalition of Gammas, is a metaphysical manipulation of natural biochemical and bioelectric energy. Coalition scientists and theorists have worked together to further develop our understanding of the phenomenon known as Psionics; several prominent Coalition members hold advanced degrees in bioengineering and biotechnology, and it is through their generous research that we were able to develop our understanding as it stands today. Through a fusion of science and paranormal theory, we have established and proven the following truths regarding the phenomenon known as Psionics.

~Psionics is the practical application of willpower and, to an extent, creativity and imagination in molding and shaping a metaphysical manifestation of the body's basic biological processes.

~The metaphysical manifestation of the body's basic biological processes is known as a Psycher's "Aura".

~ An Aura is, to current knowledge, a form of biological energy exuded by the body through natural chemical and electrical processes. Similar to a furnace throwing off excess heat, a Psycher's Aura is residual energy effectively "leaking" from the body.

~ The act of Psionics is the utilization of mental capacity to alter, change, manipulate, or otherwise utilize the Aura in a manner that the Psycher sees fit. Examples of this act follow:
* Basic manipulation of personal Aura
* Basic utilization of Aura as an energy source
* Utilization of Aura as a defensive or offensive weapon
* Utilization of Aura as a method to "remote view", or "Scry", on a person, place, or thing
* Et cetera.

~ Each Psycher has a color to their Aura, as evidenced by our predecessors in the Beta-generation of the Coalition. These colors will be expanded on in the next section.

~ Each Psycher is limited by their natural Color, and is likewise granted specific abilities by their respective colors. These abilities will be expanded on in the next section.

~ Psionics is expansive beyond the notion of the purely metaphysical. There
is tentative evidence of the ability to manipulate or otherwise influence the world around us utilizing Psionic ability, but this evidence is highly controversial and is currently undergoing further research and development within the community.

These are the guidelines to a basic understanding of Coalition Psycher development. Grasping these concepts is essential to a further understanding of Coalition Psionics, as these tenants are the basis for all of our developed powers and abilities. While we do accept and tolerate differing viewpoints regarding the nature of Psionics, and encourage independant development by sufficiently skilled Coalition members, the Coalition has probably been at this for far longer than you. If, once you are proven of capable ability in the realm of Coalition Psionics, you choose to embark on your own path of discovery and research, then we gladly welcome it. Until this time, Initiate, we ask for your patience and your trust in the wisdom and knowledge of generations of Coalition members.

What Do Colors Mean?

The Color of a Psycher's aura, to Coalition understanding, is a semi-mutable factor pertaining directly to the individual Psycher in question. Like a fingerprint, each Psycher's aura has a color unique to them, and in this way, there are also unique abilities that have been proven to come with each color. When we speak of "Colors", we essentially mean "The color of Aura".

To the best of our knowledge and research, the color of an individual is not dictated by birth or by genetics, as previous generations have theorized. Having the advantage of establishment on our side, the Coalition has researched pairings of known Psychers within the Coalition and their children; Two Reds do not make a Red, a Blue and a Yellow do not make a Green. Rather, the color of an individual is determined by emotional factors in the development of the Psycher in question. Given the range and scope of life experiences and influences on the emotional state of any particular Psycher, it is impossible to extrapolate the precise conditions needed to generate a Psycher of a particular color. Despite this, we have established a very loose series of guidelines regarding Psycher color development.

Reds: Minimal but present emotional or physical trauma
Oranges: Minimal but present emotional trauma pertaining directly to primary or secondary family units
Yellows: Moderate emotional trauma pertaining directly to social influence or social interaction
Greens: Severe emotional or physical trauma pertaining directly to social interaction (NOTE: Commonly, these Psychers tend to be "bullied" physically)
Blues: Random. We have yet to find an emotional stimulus involved in the creation of Blue Psychers. Research is ongoing.
Violets: Severe emotional trauma pertaining directly to primary family structures (NOTE: Violets are almost universally from what are considered "Broken Homes")

Whites: Severe emotional trauma, normally resulting from being rendered unable or incapable of helping a loved one injured or killed.
Blacks: Semi-Random. Almost universally, Black Psychers develop from severe emotional trauma in matters of love, but there are numerous cases in which this is not the case. Research is ongoing.

Metallics: Unlike other known "Colors" or "Shades", Metallics are created almost exclusively through birth. They are a seperate category, uninfluenced by Colors, and it is not unheard of for a Metallic Aura to supplement a Colored Aura, resulting in a dual-status Psycher.

BREAKDOWN OF COLORS

Each color presents a panoply of abilities, but the Coalition, through years of dedicated research and development, has established that individual colors have almost universal meanings and dedicated sets of pros and cons.

RED: (Auramancy)

Only Color capable of Severing permanently
Advanced in-person Aura analysis.
Defensive abilities unmatched by most other colors

UNABLE to cast through, enter, or establish a Psionic line
UNABLE to utilize long-range Psionic activity
UNABLE to metaphysically affect certain aspects of reality

Reds are the most common color of Psions at large.

ORANGE: (Greater Auramancy)

Capable of long-term Severing
Advanced in-person Aura analysis
Advanced defensive capabilities
Advanced manipulation of Avatar
Only Color capable of directly influencing another Psion's Avatar against their will (A reason they are monitored)

UNABLE to utilize advanced metaphysical effects on reality.
UNABLE to utilize anything more than medium-range Psionic activity
UNABLE to enter or cast through Psionic lines established by other Colors

(BRIGHT) YELLOW: (Greater Empath)

Capable of detecting emotions of citizens at both short and long ranges. Struggle with medium ranges.
Advanced defensive capabilities in line with Oranges
Ability to manipulate Aura/Avatar flow speed through temporary vibrational patterns
Only color capable of directly interacting with fauna on an Energetic level
Lines established by Yellows link with no downtime, and progression down a Yellow line is expedited.
Only color capable of directly influencing the moods and desires of surrounding Nulls

UNABLE to cast -any- offensive Psionic Energy.
UNABLE to directly harm an opponent's Avatar

(DARK) YELLOW: (Empath)

As above, but with the following:

UNABLE to directly influence the moods and desires of surrounding Nulls

GREEN: (Terramancers)

Able to manipulate and draw Energy of local flora
Only color capable of utilizing natural bioelectric and biochemical energy from non-human sources

UNABLE to manipulate own Avatar
UNABLE to directly manipulate own Energy
UNABLE to establish Offensive ability
UNABLE to establish Defensive ability
UNABLE to establish lines
UNABLE to use preexisting lines
UNABLE to scry
UNABLE to manipulate metaphysical reality
UNABLE to astral project

BLUE: (Seers)

Common visions into the very-near future (Often accompanied by "I have a feeling..." )
Longer-range visions into the future through dreams
Ability to communicate with other Initiated Psions at long range
Ability to establish lines to and from any Avatar
Ability to establish and permanize lines to or from any non-Psion location
Ability to establish sensor nets around/in any Avatar
Advanced ability to manipulate own Avatar

UNABLE to offensively cast
UNABLE to defensively cast

VIOLET: (Omegas)

Dangerously high level of offensive power
Moderate ability to erect defenses
Ability to perform most tasks otherwise reserved for other colors

NOTE: Violets are, by strict standards, Empaths. They are affected greatly by the moods and feelings of those around them, often requiring attention or validation through society's direct perception. Violets, unlike other colors, are fueled -directly- by the world around them, but in this, they also expose themselves to the most danger. Relying on vindication through perception of others for too long results in a fractured Core, often leading to a mental or physical breakdown as the biochemical energy of the Psion's body is thrown out of rhythm. For this reason, aside from Whites and Blacks, Violets are considered the most powerful and most dangerous members of the Psion community. They are often charismatic and charming in their own way, but equally often, they are social misfits, rejecting their inherrent inborn abilities. They are unpredictable at best, and a danger to the Psion lifestyle unless strictly monitored and/or mentored.

NOTE: Coalition policy states that all Violets in the localized area must be registered to the current Council at the time of their arrival in the boundaries established by the Coalition by the Act of Division of 2002. Failure to comply will result in Severing until the affected Violet leaves the territory.

WHITE: (Clerics)

Advanced in-person Aura analysis
Only color capable of analyzing an Aura's status at medium and long distances
Only color capable of analyzing the Aura of another and repairing effective damage
Supreme defensive capabilities
Dangerously high level of offensive power

BLACK: (Vamps)

Only color capable of directly draining energy from another Aura
Only color capable of "passive drain" as an area effect ability
Only color capable of mutating their own Aura to effectively mimic "special abilities" of other colors
Only color capable of "Aura Warping", or displaying themselves as another color entirely
Only color capable of creating and maintaining "Energy Capacitors"
Supreme offensive capabilities
Dangerously high level of defensive power
Dangerously high level of Empathic power by virtue of their energy effects
Only color capable of development of "stealthed" offensive and defensive powers

NOTE: Both Black and White Psychers must be registered with the Coalition. This is non-negotiable. Any White or Black Psycher that avoids registration will be Severed without any chance of appeal or probation. We are aware that this is a hardline stance; it is necessary.

IN CONCLUSION

It is the pleasure of the Coalition and the Council that this preceeding document be shared with the members and visitors of the Psion Guild. I understand that our ways are vastly different from those of the Psion Guild, but while our differences are numerous, so too are our similarities. I apologize for the somewhat abridged nature of this transcription, but to be blunt, I had a hell of a time eliminating some of the less-informational aspects, especially those detailing people or places that would mean little to the Guild at large.

I thank the members of the Guild for reading, and I would gladly field any questions that any Guild member may or may not have regarding the above, or completely unrelated questions.

Thank you all for your time and patience.

~Decoy~
C.O.G. Decoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
You got no greys? Does this mean I do not actually exist? Oh well, saves registering with you. ;)

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
C.O.G. Decoy

Not at all, Pat. This is our most basic understanding of color theory. It isn't to say we do not have color combinations: Normally, a Psycher will have "two" colors mixed together, resulting in a bit of a combined color; Red and Blue make a purple variation, et cetera. Normally, however, we tend to classify these colors into the "Dominant" color, with the secondary color either tacked on at the end or disregarded completely. So while you may be a Gray by our standards, our references would list you as either a Black-dom-White, a White-dom-Black, or (given the finnicky nature of color science) even a White-dom-Bue-Red.

My apologies for not being a little more clear or concise in my answer, Pat. I'm afraid I just woke up and it normally takes anywhere from a half hour to three hours to fully rouse myself from a long rest.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

It's a fascinating system, to say the least. I have but one question at the moment: What exactly is meant by "Severing"?

(My next step will probably be to try to shoehorn myself into your categorization, it will be interesting to find out whether or not I can succeed, lol).

Many things I'm pondering now (such as whether what we identify as 'birthswitch tones' is related to what you view as "Metallics").

A few oddities: Taking energy from another person's aura is considered a beginner skill, here, and not a special ability of any sort. (I've rarely run into a psi who can't learn this easily).
Are these colors intended to be baselines, from which a person can develop the full range of skills, or are the stated limitations believed to be permanent?

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
C.O.G. Decoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged_Wolf View Post
It's a fascinating system, to say the least. I have but one question at the moment: What exactly is meant by "Severing"?
Hail once more, Winged Wolf. It is a pleasure to have you, and to answer your legitimate questions.

"Severing", or "Sealing", is an act that the Coalition has dedicated decades of research towards. Having been assailed at numerous fronts by Renegade Psions, independent groups insisting on autonomy, or blatantly by alternative believers attempting to force their will upon us, the Coalition saw fit to develop and utilize a method to completely neutralize potential threats to our community.

Severing is the act in which an Auramancer directly taps into a Psion's energy source, or "Core" (which has yet to be fully described, my apologies for the non-matching terminology). The Red (Auramancer) in question then... To put it bluntly... Ceases the beating "Core" of the rogue Psion, essentially stopping the ability to manipulate energy and hindering the rogue Psion's ability to generate the necessary biochemical/electrical force needed to power Psionic abilities.

I hate to admit this, but we do not fully understand the science behind -why- Severing works. Moreover, that Severing can be applied specifically to targetted body parts... I, for instance, once had my left arm Severed for a violation of Coalition protocol... is a source of constant research, but we have yet to find out -why- the Sever works, even though a limb or body part is not exclusively represented by the rogue Psion's Core.

We consider an unauthorized Severing to be one of the most grievous crimes that a registered Psycher can commit against the Psion community. Hence, why Reds serve on the Severing Squads (to learn control and to better understand the procedure), and why Oranges, the only color capable of distanced Severing, are strictly monitored.

Quote:
Many things I'm pondering now (such as whether what we identify as 'birthswitch tones' is related to what you view as "Metallics").
Having taken the time to at least examine your Birthswitch Tone articles, I believe that Metallics are not analogous. Metallics are exceedingly rare, as there have been only three in our entire history, and only one currently active. Cursory and more dedicated region-wide scanning has only revealed one other Metallic, and she is an infant, placing the chance of being born Metallic at -best- 1:17,000,000.

Quote:
A few oddities: Taking energy from another person's aura is considered a beginner skill, here, and not a special ability of any sort. (I've rarely run into a psi who can't learn this easily).
I am aware that most Psions can indeed steal energy, at least to a certain extent, from others. However, the Coalition has... narrowed... the definition, of a sort. While anyone can steal energy, only a select few Coalition members to our knowledge have the ability to steal energy without conscious thought or effort, or on a large scale. For example, our Vamps (Blacks) are almost universally capable of passively emitting an energy-draining aura, blatantly stealing energy from anyone and anything indescriminately. Development of Black abilities has resulted in the expansion and further advancement of "Vamping", resulting in a common Coalition baseline of being able to passively drain any living human within a hundred foot radius. This is the minimum to which all Blacks are measured. Commonly, a Black may develop a wider range and distance, but eventually, the returns are diminishing; a thousand-foot radius will only do so much when you live in a rural area, while often a fifty foot radius is more than enough to power a Black for as long as they desire.

Likewise, in the manner of Oranges, the ability to alter the Avatar of another... (NOTE: Avatars are essentially the projections Coalition forces routinely keep active. Most Avatars resemble the Psycher casting, and all have significant defenses worked into them. In this way, we avoid directly exposing our Aura; I believe the analogue to your own ANKA system would be "Shielding", but our shields live and move with us at all times and can be sent down connection lines and to remote viewing locations.)... is considered -extremely- powerful. While an Orange cannot immediately shut down another Psycher's Avatar, given only a small amount of exposure to a hostile Orange (Current fastest Avatar dissolution is 1:29 seconds), one's Avatar can be almost entirely absorbed/dissolved into the Orange's Aura. Thankfully, Oranges are mercifully rare, and we have had very little conflict with Renegade Oranges in the past.

The Coalition has found the same as you; All colors, in their own way, can absorb energy. But dedicated energy-Vamps have earned their own right in the Coalition, and as such, their abilities are the "standard" of Coalition-known "Absorption" techniques. I can only ask for forgiveness, as I excluded this from the original post due to my misplaced notion that it was common sense. I forgot that we operate under two completely different systems.

Quote:
Are these colors intended to be baselines, from which a person can develop the full range of skills, or are the stated limitations believed to be permanent?
The best I can answer is "Yes and no." We have found that if a Red is Unsealed, he is likely to stay a Red unless he undergoes vast amounts of psychological trauma, more than a normal Unsealing might require. The most recent, and somewhat unfortunate, anecdote that I can offer is in the case of a... loved one of mine. Prior to a situation, she was a Yellow. She gave birth, and the child died; a year-long depression sank in, and when she emerged once more, she was Violet. While she retained some Yellow skills, the majority of them were lost.

We have found that, with -extensive- training, a member of one color can, theoretically, expand their skills. They may gain an ability or two of another color, but they then essentially aquire the negatives from both colors. Furthermore, a two-man team of a Black and a White can perform a technique that the Coalition has developed, directly altering the Core of a Psion, changing their color by force. This is often done if, in the instance of armed conflict, the Coalition force finds itself in dire need of a particular Color. This is only temporary, however. We have no doubt that it could be established -permanently- and are currently undergoing research involving a temporary Severing and Unsevering, seeing if the transplanted Color will take on given established Cores when forced to adapt to alternative coloric transmutations.

Likewise, we have found that on mildly rare occasions, a Psion may indeed be a cross between two Colors, having the benefits... Or most of the benefits... and negatives of both colors. Unfortunately, we have also found that such Psions end up a certain amount of unstable. Their energy fluctuates, creating vast energetic gulfs; Defenses are more difficult, offenses are more random and devastating, and by the Gods and all that is holy, don't -ever- take a connection Line established by such a Psycher if you value your continued sanity.

I am currently waiting a Council decision on whether or not to allow discussion of some of our more advanced theories at this time. We do not normally introduce Initiates into the more advanced notions until at least a year has passed since their Unsealing, but as this is an information exchange, I am pushing for a more accelerated exposure for the benefit of the Guild and its visitors.

If you have any further questions or comments, you are more than welcome to post them, or if you feel somewhat bashful about a particular topic of a more intimate nature, then feel free to send me a private message. I am around quite often.

Always a pleasure to serve,

~Decoy~
Old 07-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

A few more questions. Is the Coalition what the Guild would term to be a Net?

You mention 'sealing' 'independent groups insisting on autonomy'...under what circumstances would such be considered a threat warranting removal of their abilities? (This must be asked, obviously, as frankly the line gives the impression that you go around sealing all psis who don't obey your rules, and that wasn't really the idea I'd gotten from you thus far). Sealing, by the way, isn't unknown here, but I agree that few can successfully accomplish it, and while I've heard the term 'sealing', it's more commonly referred to as 'shut down'.

How is a person's 'color' determined? By aura-sensing, or by matching ability sets to the categories?

As nearly as I can determine, your Avatars are actually what we would call constructs. (There are construct-shields, too, but I actually use something like what you call an avatar when doing long-distance work, sometimes--it's like a construct that you operate like an RC robot, rather than giving it its own volition).

Construct creation is an entire ability set here, which most psis work with to some degree. I was taught to use a construct to work through over a distance, rather than bothering with trying to astrally project (which has avoidable risks). In any case, having only been knocked 'out of body' once, I can't astrally project, and no one else has been able to force me to, either. This apparently rare in the OEC psi communities.

Last edited by Winged_Wolf; 07-02-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
Brightwing
Junior Staff

Brightwing is an unknown quantity at this point
(I have the same issue and solution, Wingedwolf.)

Decoy, I would like to inquire as to why aura colors are determined solely by psychological trauma? Or is the not the case? Are there other factors which determine "color"?

By your system, I would define myself to be White dom-Orange (which fits quite damn well, mind you). Yet I'm not totally sure I agree with certain limitations in the system (e.g. Greens being the only ones who can utilize biochemical and bio-electrical non-human energies).

Last edited by Brightwing; 07-02-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Brightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

My own ability set:
Base (prior to training): Energy manipulation and sensing skills, (Energy drawing, projection, intensity, density, etc). I have no idea on distance, because I never tried before training.
Construct skills, empathy, magnetism sensing, primal sensing, instinct sensing.

I began training soon after my abilities awakened. Current ability set:
Energy manipulation and sensing with planet-wide range. Good construct skills. Receptive empathy, primal, and nervous system sensing, minor thought sensing. Minor projective nervous system ability. Magnetism sensing, EMR sensing.

In our terminology, I am a partial sensitive with Energy Primary, Construct Secondary, Mental tertiary, and Physical quaternary.

As for my childhood traumas, hm... I was ostracised by classmates for being different, but I was perhaps too different for this to create the same emotional issues it may in other people. I did not want my classmates' approval, I just wanted them to leave me alone entirely. I had a single close friend throughout most of my childhood, and I would say that I was largely happy. My parents went through a messy divorce when I was around 10, but while quite stressful, that also did not have an extremely personal impact on me. I had both parents, and both sets of grandparents, present in my life for my entire childhood. I must say, the few emotionally traumatic experiences I have had in my life did not cause any effects whatsoever on my abilities, however.

Based on your color listings, though, I can do white, black and violet stuff. Some of that due to some modifications to my system, some simply due to intensive training over time. (Practice makes better, if not perfect). I am not, however, a sensitive empath. I can pick up others' emotions fairly weakly, and I do not mistake them for my own.

My best skill is detecting fine details in energy systems, and tracking, but I can also hit things really hard. lol

As for the Black area affect...I'm 99% sure I could pull that off, though I've never had any particular reason to try. That is something I associated with untrained psy-vamps (but we consider psy-vamps to be people who NEED to take energy from others, because they cannot generate enough of their own).

Still, I understand the mechanics of it, and I have all the skills necessary, so I'm quite sure I could do it.

I have noticed that innate high psis are some sketchy individuals, emotionally and psychologically, lol.

I do have a suspicion, though, that our psis won't fit into your color categorizations, and part of this might be due to expectation, and focus of training. I'll be most interested to see if your folk fit into OUR categorizations. (If they do not, that would be just as fascinating).

Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #10
Brightwing
Junior Staff

Brightwing is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd be quite interested with engaging in active communication with The Coalition. Registration would be a pain though.

I'd be interested in chatting with your people on an IRC channel or somesuch.