Psion Guild Forums  

Go Back   Psion Guild Forums > General > Member Involvement

Member Involvement An open forum for members and regulars to discuss administrative and policy issues.

View Poll Results: Should the Rep System be brought online?
I think the Rep System should be brought online 18 51.43%
I think the Rep System should stay off 5 14.29%
I don't care one way or the other 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
ShadowRain

ShadowRain is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Rep System Poll

Recently there was a discussion here about whether it would be beneficial to bring the rep system online (currently, it's only usable by mods according to Winged_Wolf).

Some good points were brought up both for and against the idea:

Pros: Provides a way of displaying who has made a number of helpful/accurate posts vs. who posts a lot but doesn't really help or is inaccurate/fluffy. Could potentially help newbies figure out more easily who is worth listening to, and thus could improve the quality of the forums in general. Also provides a bit of incentive to be helpful rather than being "rampant tools" as Redregon put it, since those who choose to be jerks would soon accumulate bad rep points.

Cons: Lots of potential for abuse. If someone gets in a heated argument or takes offense at someone, they may start retaliating by trying to give the other person a bad rep. Minsc pointed out that having a rep system has resulted in secret "rep wars" on other forums, and rep inflation such that the rep points are ridiculously inaccurate and useless. Also, as Pat pointed out, sometimes a person is wrong no matter what their reputation is, so it could lead to misinformation being accepted.

Winged_Wolf recommended a poll to see if the majority of users actually wanted the system online, so here it is.
ShadowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
mr.odd
what's that over there?

Location: currently in the U.S. hoping to travel for a time within the next two decades.
mr.odd is an unknown quantity at this point
So long as people don't abuse it, I say bring it back.
mr.odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
NoMad
Device Forum Moderator

NoMad is an unknown quantity at this point
I would agree with mr.odd. It's a good way to get a general idea on a persons general posting pattern. As long as no one takes it too seriously, OR starts abusing it. I can see how it would be a rather useful tool.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
psionide
Non on a Mission

psionide is an unknown quantity at this point
I second (third?) Mr. Odd. All hail the little green bars.

If you need a hug, a tree will never run away from you or file a restraining order against you. Makes good firewood too.

Always pretend to listen carefully to what others say before you call them a moronic twit. It makes it more convincing.

And above all, NEVER LISTEN TO ANY ADVICE IN INTERNET FORUM SIGNATURES!
psionide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Pat McDonald
Very, very pale grey

Pat McDonald is on a distinguished road
I disagree that rep systems are more good than bad. I've seen 'em exploited horribly. I've seen online communities get hammered into ruin by egomaniacs and spoilt bastards who think of human beings as toys to be exploited.

I don't want to see that happen to PsionGuild.

You think I don't know. Well, maybe you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

But assuming you are always right always puts you in the wrong.

Because assume just makes an ass of u and me.
Pat McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
Nightshade
Psion, Philosopher, Psychonaut

Nightshade is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with the pros and the cons, however the people here that frequently make good posts are known by the other members on a subtle level. Though the newbies may not be able to determine who those 'good posters' are, they will eventually figure it out and will feel assimilated with the community. The rep system is definitely useful, and the cons really only result from immaturity. I say bring it online and let the Psion Guild show the internet how mature we are; if the rep system becomes abused then we're saying we are no better than any other site and choose not to carry ourselves with dignity. Then after we realize this take the rep system offline permanently.

Or do nothing. It doesn't really matter to me, I even voted that way =P
Old 11-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Daimon
Head of the Defense Department

Daimon has a spectacular aura aboutDaimon has a spectacular aura aboutDaimon has a spectacular aura about
I think there's little point in changing it.
Mods and Admins can currently use it, and I see no point in changing that.
Daimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
Firestorm
Member of the Defense Department

Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimon View Post
I think there's little point in changing it.
Mods and Admins can currently use it, and I see no point in changing that.
If the users want it, that is point enough. The poll is currently at 8-3-5. Hardly a strong consensus, but still something we should take a look at.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
Soula

Soula is an unknown quantity at this point
People on the site that I'm admin of use reputation ratings very maturely, and normally the site is aimed at young teens to young adults (not saying this one isn't) and they do use it correctly - of course there are a few moments when friends give each other points for the sake of it, but in serious squabbles and negative points have been issued, moderators and admins do assess the situation to see if it has been fairly given, if not - then of course the negative points from both members will be deleted. - then usually followed with warning messages to not abuse the system.
I think it's a good rewarding way to get people from all levels to help and share knowledge from each other and they sites that I'm still on and have it are used fairly and effectively.

Just my input, go for it!
Soula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Winged_Wolf
Head Grump

Winged_Wolf is on a distinguished road
With everyone so busy, and the system essentiallly not being used at all, it might be time to consider giving it a try. It's not as though we can't turn it back off, if it goes badly.

Visit Eclipse Metaphysical, and Eclipse Exotics, my business sites: http://www.eclipsemetaphysical.com/
http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
My Home Page: http://www.wingedwolfpsion.com/
My Author site: http://www.donnafernstrom.com
"We have gone beyond wisdom" - Archchancellor Trymen, 'The Colour of Magic'
Winged_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote